Monday, December 31

The Memorables & Mentionables" 2007 Grub Round Up

My my, isn’t 2007 in a hurry to go somewhere esle? At the end of 2006 and still reeling from the after effects of travels, I’ve always thought of 2007 as nothing more then just a prelude to 2008. How could it possibly top 2006 in all its Euro-hopping glory? Well, I was wrr … wrrr …–deep breath- WR-ONG.

In 2007, a silver of fame tinged this blog. I took food writing more seriously and became a writer cum Assistant Editor for SMU Gourmet Club’s magazine***. I met many amazing people, heard their stories and diverted from my career plans so much so that it now resembles a chanterelle-shaped mind map. Of course, I have great memories of my birthday party at Pitch Black. I wouldn't change anything about 2007... Okay perhaps remember to bring mosquito repellent to Bali but other than that, nuttathing to change. Sure, I could have erased some people and "incidents" from memory but without 2007, how else would I know to avoid them in 2008 onwards?

The end of the year usually means it's time to reflect on the good deeds we have done (shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes), our sins (make that ten, no fifteen minutes) and unresolved New Year resolutions (I guess we could pretty much skip that last part since there’s always next year). Better to move onto "The Memorables & Mentionables" 2007 Grub Round Up.

The highlights of 2007 made for sweet memories that linger on like the perfume of a lady who has just sashayed by. When I revisited my archives, memories of who did what, who said what when and what took place remain defiant against the aging process (arh, must be the omega-3 from all that sashimi). I also chose to leave out restaurants overseas because the playing field is different altogether.

This year's wrap up is a little different from last year. Items on this year's list aren’t confined to restaurants because
1. I haven’t had the luck nor buck to plunge into most menus.
2. I’m not incredibly proud to say this but I’ve an attention deficit disorder to most food items which means I can’t go through 10 bites of any dish without assuming the persona of a casting director- "NEXT!!!" As a result, against doctor’s recommendation, snacking about is how I usually get by.

It’s a long list, are you ready? Highlights of 2007.



Encore-worthy performances

Le Bistrot is without a doubt my favorite restuarant of the year. Just about anyone who has asked me for a recommendation has been pointed in its direction. Who would have thought this little enclave hidden within Stadium Walk could exude such charm and warmth?

Another restaurant that was more than a pleasant surprise is Brassiere Wolf at Robertson Quay , which provides a lovely spot for quiet lunch.

Otoro and Uni from Akane. Some say the first time is always the most memorable. Yeah, I figured just as much.

The slick-as-hell sashimi from Tatsuya made me weak in the knees. Correction, 'makes me weak in the knees' because I'm still reminiscing about it.

Brunch at Marmalade Pantryis an oldie but goodie. It's been around even before brunch became de riguer for any self-respecting yuppie. Seriously, I have no idea how the crazily delicious must-I-share sticky date pudding managed to stay out of my radar for so long. Well, not anymore for Target: Delicious Gimme More is well in sight.

Morton’s. Great food (duh it's cooked in duck fat!). Awesome service. I think it’s funny how people rave about Morton’s onion loaf but did you know you can get an awesome mini onion loaf at Vila'ge at The Heeren, where Marche used to be? Fluffy, soft and sprinkled with onion bits… what more can you ask for? Oh yeah, breathe mints. In fact, I think Vila'ge’s pretty neat bakery is one of Orchard Road’s best well-kept secret. Every time I pop by for my onion loaf fix, the muffins, glistening under the glare of the spot light stare back at me in a love-forlorn manner, like sad kittens waiting to be adopted.

There's nothing 'petit' about their new pad at Harding Road and while the cute cosy factor may be somewhat diminished, the food's still dependable, so say a big hello to Au Petit Salut.

Most gelatos these days are missing that WOW quotient, those looking for a brief respite from the usual chocolate and er- chocolate concoctions will find solace in the olive oil and tomato gelato from Riciotti.

I'm pretty much hooked on fish pie from Pierside Kitchen and Bar Dunk a fish in pie? Why don't people do this more often? Why just put two or four legged land animals in pies? I know I sound grotesque but why why why?

I know Da Paolo Gastronomia at Cluny Court is not the most comfortable place to hang out. You are at the mercy of Singapore's erratic weather, where it can either get stifling hot or just plain wet wet wet and when the roads get busy, you are accosted by a whammy of carbon monoxide. Despite so, I love hanging out here. Must be the presence of Tupperwares.

Hey come on, the fact that I lived on PB&J sourdough bread from Simply Sandwich during my internship is enough to warrant a spot on this post. As you can see the trans-fat fiasco hasn’t exactly taken me off a bread-heavy diet.

I normally don't think much of bakery chains and I refuse to categorize Swissbake as 'one of them'. Have you checked out their chocolate croissants? How can some chocolate croissants wannabes call themselves ‘chocolate croissants’ when they only contain sinewy chocolate trails? Swissbake's is gorged/ jammed/ stuffed end-to-end with chocolate, making this the Queen Bee of chocolate croissants.

You are the Weakest Link

Admittedly, I haven’t come across any disturbingly horrible experiences that beg a restraining order. I think its also because I’m uber particular about the places I visit, making sure I have done enough “research” on them before visiting.

[When Bad Stuff Happens To Good People] Botak Jones’s Burger. The whole 'ginormous portions of good food at you-sure-i-heard-you-right prices' concept has tugged at the heart -and purse- strings of most people but the burger's dry beef patties aren’t getting’ any lovin’ from me.

[When Bad Stuff Happens To ERM-Ok People] Roast Beef Sandwich from PS Café. This is the epitome of a BLARRDY waste of calories. You either blessed with jaws of steel or empty gut to eat this- guess I had both on that day.

The 'Naughty' List

Argh, the next few restaurants aren't bad! They don't call for the need to pick up plaque cards, stomp down City Hall and holler 'R-E-S-P-E-C-T for Diner'. I mean, they might even be on your Default Dining list. The food isn't necessarily inedible but there was something about the service, ambience and/ or SOPs that left a bad taste in my mouth.

Now I do feel bad about blacklisting these restaurants but I do think a silent customer is the most dangerous customer. This is neither a power trip nor malicious ha-i-gotcha rant. I genuinely hope that these restaurants can ever so tweak some faulty cog so that they can go onto conquer the hearts, minds and guts of their customers and instill world peace! Er hello, world peace is so 2006? Please tune your ‘IN’ frequency to Global Warming.

Le Papilion. Less can be More.

Peperoni Pizzeria. Less Talk, More Toppings.

Shiraishi: I can't get you out of my head- just so that I will never make the same mistake.

Croissants from Canele. Such tragedy.

Slow service at Shanghai Eats. Too little, too late.

Novus. Novelty at best.

And this year we have a tie for 'What’s the Big Fuss' award
Donut factory & Marutamen ramen
The last time I witness such fervor, queue and hype was at an immigration centre. Does food taste better only after you have queued for it?

Restaurants to try in 2008
(as of 31 December 2007)

Au Jardin
Les Bouchon Rive Gauche
Relish
Nogawa
Old School
Tomo

As of today, my blog is 3 years, 1 month and 11 days old. We’ve come a long way, babe. And finally to you my dear readers, best wishes for 2-0-0-8!

*** I have taken over as Publications Director so you are interested in dining on someone else’s expense writing, holler back! Sorry, but this is only applicable to SMU students.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey hey Yixiao.

So this is your blog... now i know where I know you from! your blog piccies! I saw your party photo's on Zhu's blog and I was like... wow! anyway. It was very pleasant having you at my dinner. Thanks for coming.

You have a beautiful blog and you write very, very nicely. Well done!

I hope you got round to watching Paris Je'taime.

Ciao!

-Timothy

Anonymous said...

A true foodie..!! you even have a to try restaurants for 2008 .. muahhaha!!! Happy New Year to you and yours..!

yixiaooo said...

Hey Timothy, thanks for visiting.. =)

Happy New Year to you too, Mama bok!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Au Jardin is LOVELY!! You will enjoy it...it was one of my best meals ever there. Not just the food but the entire service and setting. You'll forget you are eating in Singapore!

Am I too late...hope you have a great start to 2008!