Tuesday, August 28

Novus. Second Time

Halfway through Advertising class, I suddenly remembered I haven't made a reservation at Gunther's. Alas, my 11:45am call was met with "we are fully booked" reply. -bummer- When we took into account the rainy weather and proximity, my friend and I decided to head to Novus at National Musuem instead.

Upon arrival, the disturbingly empty restaurant caught me by surprise and as lunch proceeded on, another 2 tables with occupied. Inevitably service was flawless, then again it better be with the number of wait staff outnumbering the number of occupied tables.



Tearing open my wheat roll, I thought to myself, Has Novus fallen out of favour already?



For starters, we had a choice of beef carpaccio, cappuccino white bean soup and something-boring-which-is-why-we-didn't-order-it. The cappuccino white bean soup hinted euro-majestro but it turned out to be an anemic weak brew.



For entree, we were given a selection of salmon and lamb. Bearing an ill-disposition towards cooked salmon, I went for the lamb goulash. A choice none the wiser as a tired-looking entree, served with potato pins and shredded pickles made its way to our table.



The saving grace of lunch was dessert, passion fruit crème brulee with strawberries and honey ice cream. I swear the honey ice cream has healing properties as it soothed the tartness of passion fruit and strawberries; the creme brulee was blessed with a well-caramelized torched top and luscious light body.



The seared scallops, with not-one-not-two-but-four-times cooked pork belly was just as good as I had remembered.

However, going by today's performance, things do not bode well in SwankyLand. With my Business thinking cap on, I felt while the chic-quotient was indisputable, Novus's value proposition languished in the wake of competition. Perhaps being served Fiji Water, which cost us almost half of our scallop appetizer, had led me to believe I would walk out of the restaurant 3kg lighter, looking like I've had a botox session and when that didn't happen...


I feel my pores tightening already! Not.

Let's just say I certainly don't think I will be returning anytime soon.

No comments: