Tuesday, October 23

Cedele at Wheelock

I still have loads of backtracks from Japan, but I can't help but blog about Cedele (not again?!) first. Cedele at Wheelock is turning out to be more than memorable but for reasons other than its food. I haven't visited it since the dark-soya-sauce episode but yesterday, Ming, Qin and I gathered there for lunch. Things began normal enough: we ordered sandwiches, choose our bread and polished it off with great ease. Once we were done, our cutlery and plates were swept away with alacrity that would win the foodcourt auntie's seal of approval. we deicded to have dessert eslewhere but before we called for the bill, a waitress brought a plate of blueberry pancakes to our table.

Uh-oh, order screw up, I thought to myself.

Instinctively, we informed her we didn't order the pancakes and in fact, we were about to call for the bill. But she insisted that we accept the pancakes and immediately, the skeptic in me thought it could be one of those "promotional items" where they introduced something new to diners, trap them into playing for something they didn't order (Sushi Tei used to do this).

Then she mentioned,"It's from the Chef" for undisclosed reasons and believe me when I say the 3 of us were flabbergasted. Bewilderment soon turned to sheer amusement because the pancakes were HEART-SHAPED! As in "L.O.V.E-I-heart-you" heart-shaped! I know it sounds secret-admirer-creepy but we weren't folks who would reject free pancakes. I don't have a picture because I didn't think there would be anything blogworthy after that many visits. Howdy-doo I was wrong!

Never mind it seems like something out of a Garry Marshall movie, it ain't everyday when people like us receive treats of affection from the Chef. Served with orange butter (which I likey very much) and maple syrup, it was filled with bounteous goodness of fresh blueberries. Arh, creepy or not, it was fun slicing through the hearts.



On Sunday, my parents and I wanted to visit Kinokuniya and keen to stay clear of Takashimaya and Wisma for lunch, we made a pitstop at Cedele Wheelock instead. Mum had the Teriyaki Plum Chicken, grilled chicken slathered with their "special" teriyaki plum sauce, served together with red pepper quinoa and salad greens.



For a minute, I thought to myself, "Arh, tasty.. I could try replicating this chicken at home" but logic reigned as I would have to buy a bottle of Teriyaki Plum Sauce, which I would probably use only once and relegate it to the back of the cupboard. So much for my domestic goddess dreams.



Dad had the Sirloin Cheddar sandwhich and I had the Roasted Vegetable Soup with tons of bread (I blame the irresistable bread bar).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...me too when I was with my cousin some time back...except we had heart shaped pancakes with Marks and Spencer-ish choc coated raisins in it...creepy as it was,we polished it off (it was soooo good) and then I haven't been back since haha...wee bit freaked out...we put it down to me being there frequently OR the chef being in lurve with my cousin... =)

Chubbypanda said...

Heh. Cedele is an old friend now. I've never even been to Singapore, but after reading your blog for a year, I know what I'll be going if I even make an appearance there.

Anonymous said...

hi there! I had the same experience with the pancakes - twice!! and it freaked me out. i love cedele but had not been back since. perhaps I will return now since it's not just me! =) yippie!

-- a regular reader..

xxoos said...

we had the pancakes complimentary too, but only one heart shaped one, the rest were normal ones, but each with a different fruit filling, there were apples, bananas and blueberries.

yixiaooo said...

oh my goodness.. imagine if we all visited Cedele at the same time?

Anonymous said...

well...about 5 minutes was spent nervously head darting around the perimeter (a meercat would be proud) to see if any other table had it. But hey! Let's make it a date one day and all go down together for pancake freeloading woohoo!