Last weekend, we made lemon loaves and apparently, those went down really really well with those 6 year olds. I kind of kicked myself for not saving a slice, especially since I loooove lemony treats. But come one Staurday morning, I found myself with a couple of hours to kill and some lemons siting in the fridge and I decided to make that lemon cake and try it for myself.
I pretty much adapted the recipe from Plated Cravings' Moist Lemon Cake, upping the lemon quotient and removing the syrup as I felt it would be sweet enough with the icing. The result is a delectable treat I could have for breakfast, dessert and an afternoon snack.
Here are the recipe, adapted from Plated Cravings' Moist Lemon Cake.
For the lemon pound cake:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup salted butter room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup milk
For the lemon icing:
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar sifted
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice (plus more if needed)
- 1 tbsp milk
- Instructions Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 6-inch bundt pan.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder and lemon zest. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or using an electric mixer) cream the butter and sugar together at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
- With the mixer running on low-speed, add the eggs one at a time, then beat in the vanilla extract and lemon juice. Beat on medium-high speed until combined.
- With the mixer on low, add about one-third of the flour mixture and mix until almost combined, then add half the milk and mix until just combined. Repeat with another third of flour mixture and then the last half of the milk, ending with the last third of the flour. Beat until just incorporated.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 45-55 minutes until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. I baked mine for 50 mins.
- Let the cake cool for about 10 minutes in the pan - allow cake to cool completely. Carefully invert the pan and transfer the cake to a cooling rack.
- When the cake is cooled, combine all the icing ingredients, start with 1 tbsp lemon juice and milk and add the remaining lemon juice as needed. Taste as you go along, I liked a strong lemony flavour to counter the sweetness of the icing sugar.
- Pour icing over cake and let dry before serving.
- Serve and reward yourself!