Tuesday, June 19

Ricciotti, Riverwalk

Hey guys, thank YOU for responding to my Opera call!

* * *

Italian delicatessen and patisserie by the river.

Now that's not a description you hear very often in Singapore but it sure sounds idyllic, doesn't it?

If I had to personify the Garibaldi group restaurants, Garibaldi would be the no-nonsense protective elder brother, Menotti, the young fashionable darling, and Ricciotti, the middle child, a crowd-pleaser and one who treads carefully the between the lines of tradition and modernity.

The deli "aims at being the destination of choice for the finest Italian pastries, cakes, and gourmet food in Singapore" and products-wise, I honestly don't see any obstacles. The pastries were the most eye catching feature of the room and as if dressed by italian haute couturiers, the finery of their pastries were second to none. However, I was here for something else- the gelatos.

At first glance, the gelatos, well, didn't warrant much of a 'first glance' and I was tempted to speed-dial my editor and ask her to switch assignments. Yet as soon as I had a sample of what was to come, I was glad the procrastinator in me won out.

It started off innocently enough- taste samples. The gelatos glided down with little ease, its flavours lingering like summer reverie. One, two, five, six teaspoonfuls later, I had the biggest grin in the room.



The tomato sorbet was incredibly light and the flavour only descends seconds later; I was immediately reminded me of the seeded tomato core and surprised by how pleasant it was.



When placed in front of me, the olive oil gelato put my acting skills to the test and years of drama club didn't fail me. I beamed earnestly though deep down inside I was going, "you gotta be kidding. what's wrong with these people? Can't they just work with strawberry, chocolate.what happened to good old-fashioned vanill- " but barely a spoonful later, I knew the smile on my face was spontaneous and genuine.

It was like licking mild butter and the flavour is just so difficult to describe. It was creamy, yet not very. It was rich, yet not quite. It was peculiar, well yes. quite so. You've got to try it for yourself!

Here's a tip: Pair the tomato sorbet with the olive oil gelato, as the clean airiness of the tomato strikes a good balance with the rich olive oil flavor.



The berry yogurt was charming, with a slight twang and I also tried the Coffee (not pictured) which had a bang-on, head clearing flavour .



For a fast track to heaven, you should get the restaurant's creations, the "coppe gelatos".

We had the Gianduja- gianduja chocolate, hazelnut & chocolate chip gelato, amaretti cookies, amaretto sauce, chocolate crunch and whipped cream. OOO, I would use words normally reserved for the Italian soccer team to describe the luscious affair.

If you like chocolate with hazelnut, you will dig gianduja. Mind you, this is not just another chocolate ice cream; its cultural roots reach deep into the heart of famous Piedmontose carnival mask but you don't really care, do you? As long as it's heavenly... It was so good our photographer Kejie, who was fighting to keep his cough at bay, could not resist spoonful after spoonful.

But Kejie, what about your cough?

At the risk of sounding like a L'Oreal advertisement, he mumbled, "it's worth it..."

I concur.

2 comments:

Barista said...

Hi Yixiao, Kelvin here. You ought to try Riciotti's foccacia bread sometime ya? It's solid! Just plainly toast it and serve with good virgin olive oil. Estacy @ it's best! I guarantee you that. That's where Garibaldi gets it's foccacia bread from. ^^ Bon appetti!

LiquidShaDow said...

I enjoyed the olive oil gelato, but I had it at Menotti. I think subtle is a good word to describe the olive oil in it.