Monday, July 23

Shiraishi, Ritz Carlton

Shiraishi.

Undeniably one of the top guns in the Japanese scene, the vibe- corporate lunch, the budget- corporate account.

So what was I doing at Shiraishi, Ritz Carlton? Lured out of my intern's budget into the realm of corporate accounts. My defense is that every now and then, we need to be freed from our rodent-cage, intern-food-court routine.

The three of us (plus Mia and friend, Joan Marie) were seated at the sushi counter -best seats in the house- the equivalent of Box Seats in Yankees Stadium or where our cabinet ministers would sit during National Day Parade. I get a kick out of sitting at the sushi counter as entertainment value is the highest and you get to make small talk with the sushi chef.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And that's what Mia did. Upon the chef's recommendations, Mia took on the sushi set, which consisted of 8 nigiris and 6 makis. According to her, plus points for the rice and fish slices, deduct a couple for the variety and tamago.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Joan Marie's colour-popping chiraishi bore an uncanny resemblance towards a pack of skittles. To me, the scrap fest just didn't work. It's the "minced wagyu theory" where textures and blah blah are lost when you mince blah blah. Working through it was like performed an autopsy on the mangled fish.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I actually heaved a sigh of relief when my bento arrived. With a smattering of itsy-bitsy side dishes, I couldn't wait to tuck in.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Regarded as the backbone of the restaurant, the sashimi was undisputedly fresh- I wouldn't have tolerated anything less.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

In the adjacent box, I found a medley of little dishes that were good but not worth losing sleep over: conjoined rice cracker mushroom thing (ingenious but short-lived pleasure), cod fish glazed in teriyaki sauce (well-acquainted), tamago (too soft for comfort), konnyaku (yawn), tofu (yawn), green salad (yawn).

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

A warm plum orb partially submerged in icy waters posed as dessert. Cute but too bad "cute" wasn't going to earn Shiraishi any brownie points.

At the risk of becoming Public Enemy #1, I left Shiraishi unimpressed and underwhelmed. They had the audacity to charge me for mediocre daikon dish. You should have seen my face when I saw that on the bill- a real Kodak moment, if you will.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

11 comments:

LiquidShaDow said...

I lunched there once and it wasn't that satisfying an experience considering how much it cost.

Anonymous said...

Hi, just a suggestion...if you can take note of the price of the dishes you sampled and add them within your blog, it will be useful information! At least it will help in the budgetting! =)

Anonymous said...

hey yixiao, in case i dont go online tomorrow, here's wishing you a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY! enjoy your sweet 22! :)

Barista said...

Happy 22th birthday! Though I've just known you but I'll still want to give you a present! May this be our meeting present too I hope! I will cook something for you as a birthday present but let me know when you'll be free to meet up for a meal? Thanks!

Happy 22th and I'm glad you had a great time!

Barista said...

Oh, I almost forget. This is Kelvin =)

Barista said...

Kelvin->

Harlow, I almost thought of going Shiraishi to try it out b4. I think the way you described the price was hideous. Thinking twice, better not! Lolx, I'll just stick trying Kaisan or Sushi Yoshida.

Anonymous said...

shiraishi is most famous for their sushis and not bento set so maybe you missed out on the goodness of it and u need to order from their alacarte menu, sets just don't do it.

yixiaooo said...

joyz: reason why i don't add prices is because i think adding monetary value would crass-ify the meal and article. but you could always email me and i would be more than willing to revert.. that is if i remember. haha

frank: we did have a sushi set but i'm afraid the allure was lost of me too.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR BIRTHDAY GREETINGS!

weiwen said...

Hi there, was refered to your site by a friend of mine.
Here's wishing you a happy 22nd birthday!!!
I must say aside from the delicacies you showcased, it's your writing that really impressed me!
Light read, witty descriptions, superb! I'll definitely come back for more...keep the reviews coming...

Anonymous said...

you seem to always go for the set lunches/bento set?i feel that the quality of food in sets are not as good as that of the ala carte menu.

yixiaooo said...

Weiwen: Thanks for your encouragement.

Anonymous: A restaurant or chef who is selectively dedicated doesn't warrant an excellent review in any event.

That's the beauty about chefs who whip up great dishes, regardless of who they are serving at whatever cost.