Monday, May 21

Marmalade Pantry

Brunch is, without a doubt, the most beautiful meal of the day.

On Sunday, with dad nicely tucked away in the golf course, we decided to go to "somewhere nice" for lunch. "Nice"- how generic, how cunningly unexciting it sounds. My definition of "nice" includes a ten minute (at least) drive out away from the neighbourhood; somewhere you can dress up (or look purposefully dress down "made my millions, who cares if I have a ratty t-shirt on"); a place that exists only for indulgence’s sake.



Marmalade Pantry wasn't "somewhere nice".

The last time round I was there, I found it a little too 'frou' for my liking but well, everybody deserves a second chance (I'm clearly more forgiving when it comes to brunch). A waiter in marmalade's signature uniform (helmut-lang-meets-kitchen-confidantial) shows us to our table but a perky girl takes care of our orders and I felt inclined to exonerate Marmalade from its 'frou pas'. Today, the Sunday crowd is more "Back from Mauritius. How are my hedge funds doing" than "finally got my hands on the Miu Miu coffer bag".

The Sunday brunch menu, while extensive, doesn't overwhelm but a cursory glance at what my neighbour was having confirmed my choice.



Don't you just hate it when all you want is a really simple cheeseburger but you find yourself at the mercy of over-zealous chefs who would somehow try to slip in pickles, a sunny-side up egg, onion relish, sun dried tomatoes or even, foie gras? Well Marmalade's version is as 1-2-3 as it gets- single slice of cheese, ¾ inch thick beef patty and a dash of mayo spread between sesame buns. This cheese burger appealed to me for the very same reason that may turn you off. Such simplicity but I'm still thinking about it. The French fries scored with its suitably crisp edges.



For those looking for more, I would recommend the hot pastrami sandwich. Top with caramelised onions (which looked ideally whimpy, but by no means tasted so), the beef pastrami and emmental cheese duo lies to rest on an airy white toast mattress with a familiar mayonnaise spread.



"Can I have the fried peanut butter & banana sandwich and erm, with a heart attack on the side." Slightly disturbed by the word 'fried', we ordered our PB&B sandwich un-fried, just toasted. Well, it is predictable and a can't-go-wrong choice.



Wildly popular, minimalist-chic and understated, Marmalade Pantry is like the blond beautiful kid whom people love to hate but at the same time, can't wait to get into her good books (or in this case, the reservation book) or be seen in her company… Oh yeah, I woke up, threw this OLD THING on and found myself on the Best-Dressed List the next day. But it serves a brunch worthy of praise and while it’s hardly fashionable to display over-enthusiasm, I wouldn’t be turning down an invitation anytime soon.

No comments: