Sunday, May 15

Weekend Discovery: Rolina's Curry Puff

I should be in bed right now.

But I am strangely awake for someone who has been up since 6:30am on a Sunday morning. I know what you are thinking, no self-respecting corporate soul should be up before the sun rises and eggs hatch bake right? Well, at least I didn't rise early in vain as we beat the Sunday breakfast crowds at Serangoon Food Centre.

Photobucket

Black carrot cake at Serangoon Food Centre is de riguer but I needed my curry puff fix too. I bought a sardine puff from the drinks store and I wasn't expecting much as curry puffs aren't their bread and butter. That side, the puff was cold and tough despite it being fished out of a heater. I ate it anyway as I didn't want to make a big deal out of it. But down to the last bite, I spied from the corner of my eye a flash of curry puff innards on a signboard.

"I would just kill myself if that store sold curry puffs for a living" I told KW.

Turns out it was more "I died and gone to heaven".

For $1.20, I was handed a piping hot curry puff by a sweet old man who seemed full of gratitude - when I was the one fraught with delirium.

Slightly larger than a golf ball, Rolina's curry puff was stuffed silly with potato cubes, onions and egg. There is supposedly quite an interesting story about its name (which I can't be bothered to paraphrase) but I am pleased as a puff puck to know that I can find awesome freshly-made curry puff here.

Yet another w-i-n-n-e-r for Serangoon Food Centre!

No comments: