Wednesday, August 3

Rong Cheng Bak Kut Teh, Midview City

I think that out of all the meats, pork is probably my least favourite. So it's quite funny when I find myself craving Bak Kut Teh one fine evening. While we can debate until the pigs come home over the best Bak Kut Teh in Singapore, I will always have a soft spot for Rong Cheng Bak Kut Teh. Rong Chen holds deep memories for me as my parents used to take us to the Sin Ming branch when we were kids. Although I wasn't the biggest fan of Bak Kut Teh then, having it now sets off a warm fuzzy feeling in my gut. 

Though the original outlet is one which many swear by, the Midview City branch screams convenience to me as it is alot more kid-friendly. Frankly speaking, my tastebuds can't tell the difference too. Perhaps the grim of Sin Ming adds to the appeal for some =)


I only get the 龙骨 (dragon bone) when I take Bak Kut Teh. It was moreishly fatty and tender, steeped in a warm peppery broth that I had seconds of.


There is only one way to eat the ribs - dunk into thick sweetish dark soya sauce with red-cut chili.


The collagenous pork trotter was tender and gratifying. The boys loved it. You don't order it because it's da bomb, you order it because it feels right. 


The very humble prawn omelette was a fluffy waft of home-cooked goodness. Deceptively simple. 


My idea of a happy meal

No comments: