Tuesday, January 5

Lucas // One Year Old


My dear Lucas, I can't believe you are a year old. 

I still remember that fateful weekend when the gynaecologist sat your dad and I down to have chat on an emergency caesarean. Born 3 weeks early, I wasn't even sure if you were going to make it. Watching you lie blind-folded in an UV incubator for over 20 hours was painful, but you were a tougher than your 2.2kg being looked.

I always felt life dealt you a worser-off card, yet you are a picture of easy contentment. You have such a sweet and gentle soul, almost as a counter to your elder brother's forceful brashness. I still wonder who you take after. It won't be easy to walk in your elder brother's footsteps, but we promise to love and appreciate you just the way you are.

I wrote a letter to your elder brother when he turned 9 months and while the same principles apply, here are 3 more life-isms that I hope to share with you:
  • Spend your money on experiences, not things. You are a sum of your experiences, not just what you drive, where you stay or who you date.
  • Understand your weaknesses but focus on your strengths. Even when people tell you otherwise. Even when your own parents forget to do so.
  • When in doubt, practise gratitude. You can't go wrong when you appreciate the good you have in your life.
Lucas, thank you for completing our family of four. Mama and Papa love you very much.

1 comment:

thelittledrömer said...

very sweet!