Monday, March 19

More from Pizzeria Mozza

Is it possible to like a place a little more each time you visit it? Well, I believe that's the case with Pizzeria Mozza.

The first time during my mum’s birthday, I thought it was not bad but not exactly mind-blowing the second time when we celebrated kw’s dad’s birthday, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the meal; and this time round, I felt a tad more attached to this pizzeria and I’m not typing this in food trance.


While waiting for my sister and kh, kw and I nibbled on some parmesan herb crackers. A tasty distraction definitely shortens the waiting time. Luckily they arrived before we polished off the bag.

Fried squash blossoms with ricotta

My sister specially requested for these fried squash blossoms. After leaving them to sit for a few minutes while we exchanged pleasantries, the crisp batter was exemplary but the once-oozy ricotta had curdled to a texture that reminded me of the softest tofu you would find in Kyoto (not an entirely bad thing).

Crispy goat cheese with Umbrian lentils

Loved the crispy goat cheese with Umbrian lentils the last time round so we had them again. I cleaned out the lentils, secretly psyched that noone else was gunning for them.

Clams al forno with salsa calabrese

I can haz clam jus for dunking pizza crust. Still very good and for me, it was the salsa calabrese that put the ‘oomph’ in this dish.

Chicken wings alla diavolo

The chicken wings were new to me (at Pizzeria Mozza) and they were pretty moreish too. While not devilishly hot, there was some skilled seasoning going on and the wings were satisfying in a ghetto kind of way. They might seem like overpriced chicken wings to some but you aren’t at Chomp Chomp Food Centre so quit bitchin’ and whinin’.

Question for @PizzeriaMozza: Why do you serve 3 squash blossoms and 3 chicken wings per portion if most of the seating comprises of 2 and 4 seaters? #conspiracytheory

We also had a plate of Insalata mista but I didn’t take any pictures of it; you guys know how deeply I feel for salads, no?

Salumi piccante, mozzarella, tomato & fresh chillies

We tried out a new pizza at Pizzeria Mozza but still played it (rather) safe with salumi piccante, or more popularly known as pepperoni. To me, it was tasty but overshadowed by our other pizza (kw preferred this though).

Egg, bacon, Yukon gold potato & Bermuda onions

Eggs, bacon and potatoes? This was breakfast on a pizza, proving once again an ooey gooey runny egg yolk can perform amazing tricks on something seemingly ordinary.


It was carb-on-carb action and one should forget about doing anything productive after this. Served pipping hot, this was wayyy better than what we had it last year.

Caramel copetta with marshmallow sauce & salted Spanish peanuts

I don’t usually go for caramel desserts as they are more than often not one dimensionally sweet; however, I found myself pinning for Pizzeria Mozza’s caramel copetta. I don’t know how they make “marshmallow sauce” but it beats the hell out of whipped cream, crème Chantilly and all other cloud-like creams out there.

Espresso, peanut butter and straciatella gelato

Rich, bangin’-with-flavour gelatos served with a giant wafer that could have been crisper.

Interestingly, the 12-2pm lunch crowd was predominantly white yet filled with Asians by the time we left. No, Pizzeria Mozza doesn't have the best pizza in Singapore but perhaps at the end of the day, that wasn't what I came to Pizzeria Mozza for in the first place.

No comments: