Friday, October 7

Steve Jobs (1955-2011)


If you have been living in a cave over the last couple of years and just crawled out to your nearest coffee joint to borrow their free wi-fi, there isn’t a lot to update you … the US economy is still in the doldrums and they are still accusing China of manipulating their currency; Osama is dead but not the war in Iraq and Afghanistan; our PAP has been re-elected (surprise!).

However, there is one thing you should know though – Steve Jobs has passed on. That itch you were having back in your cave was no coincidence; it was the collective sad energy of the world in mourning.

Now, I am no Apple or Steve Jobs evangelist. Reports of Foxconn’s mistreatment of workers and Apple's shrewd business ways interest me more than news of the latest iWhatevers. Oh, and I still find the Mac a biatch to use…

However, after reading through the relentless outpour of despair, I felt something stir in me. Everyone keeps talking about “Steve Jobs greatest contribution” (and let’s be honest, he didn’t invent the wheel or build a spaceship) and I kept thinking what has Apple/ Steve Jobs done for the ordinary Johnson and Jazlin (sigh, parents these days) .

Question, when was the last time you were awestruck by Starbucks' seasonal offerings or Chanel's re-upholstered 2.55 or Facebook's interface update (I truly question this point)?

I guess for me, Steve Jobs' greatest contribution was creating products that re-ignited the child-like excitement we have lost over the years.

I know this doesn't say much but the next time you or someone receives an Apple product, just watch. Watch their facial expression, watch them get girlie and geeky at the same time, then watch them moan in agony when they need to live without it.

So for this, I would like to say, thank you, Mr Jobs.

No comments: