Wednesday, August 24

沾仔记 Tsim Chai Kee, Hong Kong

When I asked kw’s mum what she had to have in Hong Kong, the first thing she said was, wonton noodles.

With the power of the modern day crystal ball - ahem, Google, a quick search revealed two household names pitted side by side each other: Mak’s Noodle House 麥奀雲吞麵世家 and Tsim Chai Kee 沾仔记. Interestingly enough, both of them are coincidentally (or not) located opposite each other as well.

On my previous trip to Hong Kong, I wasn’t blown away by Anthony Bourdain-endorsed Mak’s Noodle and decided to try out Tsim Chai Kee (Tsim Chai Kee 沾仔记 98, Wellington Street, Central) this time round.

Photobucket

Served within three minutes of us placing our order, this bowl of wanton, sliced beef and minced fish ball was heartbreakingly good. I felt like sending a Wish You Were Here postcard to kw (sidenote: I would keep feeling this way over the next couple of days so I got him a belt instead).

Photobucket

As aptly described by CNNGo, “Think ping pong balls crammed with fresh shrimp and minced pork.”

Tsim Chai Kee’s wontons are huge and slightly crunchy. The slice beef was silky tender (I have only ever had beef like that in Hong Kong) and the minced fish ball was a teaser you have to approach carefully or it will bounce out of your bowl (I will pass you a Kleenex if that ever happens). Never a fan of egg noodles, I was surprised by how clean-tasting and chewy Tsim Chai Kee’s noodles were. Even a simple dish such as blanched green vegetables with oyster sauce was so good. 

Sorry Bourdain, I’m on the other team for this round.

6 comments:

sooks said...

same! wasn't so blown away by mak's too. a HK ex-colleague recommended Wing Wah in Wan Chai but I've yet to try it.

yixiao said...

ooo wing wah? KIV for next trip!

Anonymous said...

hi
which hotel u stayed? k share...?

yixiao said...

hey anon, i stayed at metropark hotel wanchai... it was simple but convenient =)

zee said...

haha i loved the "(sidenote: I would keep feeling this way over the next couple of days so I got him a belt instead)" comment!

see you TOMORROW!!!

yixiao said...

See you tomorrow!