Wednesday, July 28

Floored by Flor

Yes, I’m going to gross all of you out with sweet nothings over my birthday weekend.

Thanks to Chef Yamashita, of course.

Photobucket

Since last year, it has been a time-honoured tradition to get all cake-d out with the pastry maestro’s sweet treats.

Photobucket
Fromage Blanc フロマジュブロン

The Fromage Blanc was easily one of favourites that afternoon. An ivory cheese tower perched itself comfortably on top of a flake-rimmed tart base, which had been smeared with blueberry sauce.

The tart base was supposed to be infused with citrus almond but it’s one of those ah-ha moments that came up after googling. Nonetheless, I loved loved loved this sponge-less concoction. Probably shouldn’t have left it till the end when I was on the verge of being cake-trified.

Photobucket
Mango Pie マンゴーパイ

I don’t usually drool over mango products (though I totally heart the fruit), so the Mango Pie was an afterthought. Something along the lines of hmm I’m done choosing what I think I would like, maybe I need to appeal to the needs of others.

But with a bite of the mango pie, I was ready to eat my words- and more of the pie. Just imagine: a mouthful of juicy, ripe mangoes PLUS chewy cookie tart base slightly softened by light pastry cream. This one’s for keeps, folks.

Photobucket
Waguri Millefeuille 和栗ミールフイール

Last year’s Tokyo trip fostered my love for the marron (chestnut) and I’ve been looking for something in Singapore to fill the emptiness in my heart. Que Waguri Millefeuille.

Airy-fairy sponge cake and pastry cream sandwiched between the flakiest of puff pastries, topped with daintily piped French chestnut cream and sweetened Japanese chestnuts. The chestnut flavour was arguably too mild for instant gratification but it was a reminder of how lovely chestnuts could be.

Photobucket
Napoleon ナポレオン

I will share this with you if you love strawberry shortcake. Of course this would mean you are restricted to the bottom half, sans puff pastry. My self-serving needs aside, the Napoleon was a neat treat of butter-flaky puff pastry layered with pastry cream, fresh strawberry slices, whipped crèam and sponge.

Definitely something to have and hold if you need to widen your fieldwork of strawberry shortcakes.

Photobucket
Crêpe Suzette クレープシュゼット

The Crêpe Suzette is Chef Yamashita's take on a classic namesake with tangy orange mousse, fresh cream and sponge cake wrapped in a French crepe quilt.

If only Chef Yamashita took his re-interpretation further by flambéing or caramelizing something ... or injecting a shot of Grand Marnier within. Wasn’t my favourite of the lot but would I stop you from ordering it? No. this baby needs some lovin’ though it wouldn’t get any from me.

Photobucket

DESSSSTRUCTIOOOOOOOOOOOOON!

Photobucket

Funny but not oddly enough, compared to the time we spent on the road, I think we took less time to polish off our 5 Flor slices.

8 comments:

sooks said...

happy belated bday yixiao!

yixiao said...

thanks sooks!

amiscell said...

That Waguri Millefeuille looks great. I will pay this place a visit!

yixiao said...

although the chestnut flavours are on the mild side, flor still has enjoyable treats.

Zubaidatariq said...

HI,

Nice blog.. great stuff.. beautiful pictures! so flavorful!!!
thanks for sharing..........


John Williams
Zubaida Appa

Chef Gulzar said...

Hi

I read your post! nice blog....
That Waguri Millefeuille looks great.thanks for sharing..........



James Parker….
Chef Gulzar recipes in Urdu

Airin Tirtayadi said...

Waguri Millefeuille and Napoleon! i tried that when i was in Tokyo last month :) there's this petite cake shop in Ginza. sooo good :)

Jer Lin said...

getting several slices of cake certainly looks like a better option than purchasing one large cake on birthdays! the fromage blanc and the mango pie look fabulous (: