Sunday, June 14

WTH lunch at 7atenine

WHY ME?!

Que dramatic music and flashback clips.

After a notable dinner and tons and tons of free press on their Lunch Unlimited, I forwent Wasabi Bistro and tried out 7atenine’s lunch for myself.

But this turned out to be one of the most anti-climax meals I’ve had so far. In fact, some of the dishes were so underwhelming, I found myself preoccupied with the calligraphic brush strokes on the plate.

There wasn't a menu and each dish was supposedly a 'surprise'. Ugh. I should learn to be more wary of surprises unless they come in a robin blue box.

Photobucket

Tuna tatare with black olives – Lost in Translation in every sense of the word.

Photobucket

Duck rillette - the duck rilette was good enough (gamy and shreddy) but they paired it with some pedestrian (and stale) white bread. I like my Gardenia Loaf but I don’t want to have it at some tapas-shake-yah-toocas eatery.

Photobucket

The dashi and eggplant concasse was just odd - indescribably mismatched with undecipherable flavour.

Photobucket

The radish, asparagus & zucchini salad and sesame toast was quite a disaster too. It was summer pretty but with zilch personality.

Photobucket

The soft shell crab tempura was one of the most usual dishes but it worked.

Photobucket

Grilled scallops – why not just serve me a whole scallop?

Photobucket

The feta cheese ravioli was one of the better dishes but the ravioli slumped sadly to the bottom of the bowl, reminding me of my pre-lunch expectations.

Photobucket

The baby tomatoes looked promising but its tart crust had been soggified by the cream cheese.

Photobucket

The truffle risotto also belonged to Camp Mitigation.

Photobucket

I’ll be fair: the braised veal cheek was good. I would have asked for seconds but by then I was itching to be over and done with this meal so that I could get onto my next .

Photobucket

The roasted beef flank was surprisingly tough though I dug the accompanying crunchy chips.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

By the time desserts rolled by, I had lost most of my enthusiasm and patience. The mango parfait, chocolate truffle ball, sweet earl grey pastille and green apple sorbet with cheesecake threaded between uh-huhs and oh-nos.

But I was glad we were finally FINALLY! done with lunch.

7atenine
8 Raffles Avenue
#01-10/12
Esplanade Mall
Tel: 6338 0789

3 comments:

shihui said...

finally! someone else who thinks the same way about 7atenine: overrated food. i was hoping for any saving grace throughout the 20-odd dishes. there were one or two pleasant ones. but nothing worth shouting about.

there goes $43 down the drain.

Miss Tam Chiak said...

i went too!

yixiaooo said...

saddness.