Thursday, December 13

Hong Kong Personified

Chiuchow Garden Restaurant. Yung Kee. Luk Yu Tea House. Mak's Noodle House. Le Marron. The Aberdeen Marine's Club Balcony. Nobu. City Hall Maxim's Place.

Who is Hong Kong?

Known as Pearl of the Orient, she was THE debutante of her day. A socialite who lived on a sustenance of late-night parties, woken up in one too many unfamiliar beds to dizzying hangovers spells.


Now she struggles to keep up with up-and-comers, though in vain as years of debauchery has left her soul riddled with bad habits and her once-flawless facade etched with creases of weariness.

I'm finally back. For real. So Hong Kong, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

Quite frankly, not much. Scenically-speaking, you are an architectural mess, the stench of sewage permeates the air in varying degrees of hostility, the income disparity gap cast a disturbing glare on your people, whom by the way aren't particularly civic-minded.

Some might say 10 days is a tad too long for Hong Kong alone, but I had a fantastic time, which goes to show that sometimes awesome hosts and great company count for more than the place itself.

I know this fellow who didn't like Hong Kong as a vacation spot because he didn't particularly enjoy shopping or feasting. Erm, I think he is just genetically ill-disposed to Hong Kong. He could very well have failed the 'Are you right for Hong Kong' personality test. Oh well. Shopping in Hong Kong was comme ci comme ca- kinda sucks when you aren't on Lane Crawford budget.

It's OK, it's alright, baby's staying one more night

If you have been following this blog long enough, you will know I'm a control freak. It's one thing to have a 'To Pack' checklist (which I never do without) but for this trip, I numerically labeled my outfits and using minimal permutation-and-combination analysis, conjured up 9 outfits for my week long trip. Yeah, I know I have issues... So you can only imagine my trip extension surprised no one more than myself. Hmmm, that was perhaps one of the most spontaneous things I have done in a while. I popped into a Pacific Coffee cafe, snooped around the internet for about 15 minutes and -voila!- booked another ticket- as easy and as fuss free as ordering dim sum off a trolley cart.

Speaking of dim sum, I'm embarrassed to announce I ate more than my fair share of roast meats. Half the time, my conscience was calling out to me, Hey lady, stop reaching for the char siew! Could you at least try to live up your pet name and pretend to be the diminutive Damsel In This Dress?! But but... I heart this char-siew-that-you-can't-find-in-Singapore.

Tons to write about. Tons to rave about. Stay tuned, some other time, same blog address. This is moi signing out for tonight.

No comments: