Friday, May 18

Royal Copenhagen Tea Lounge



Previous experiences at Royal Copenhagen Tea Lounge have been less than “purveyor to her majesty the Queen” and today was no exception. Lamentable service aside, we decided to focus on conversation and cakes.



The display of cakes, thankfully free of tacky cream, look absolutely tempting- good thing there was a glass display separator, or I would have just handpicked a slice while waiting for our table (see this is why I should be banned from buffets).



Faced with a variety of Madhatter-approved treats, I was torn. Natalie-Imbruglia-Tormented-Soul-Woe-Is-Me T-O-R-N. The waitress recommended their bestseller the baked cheesecake but I was in the mood for something more unusual. There were fruit-based cakes -pear and apricot- with their handsome glaze; I was almost swayed by the gorgeous rich green matcha cake and the fruit cake with its icing sugar dusting was positively alluring; even the clownish-sounding chocolate brownie cake was worth a thought.

Unable to make up my mind, I did the next most appropriate thing; I asked my tea companion. I have to admit seeking advice or opinion from somebody else takes the heat of a bad decision made by myself.



Blueberry cake was essentially butter cake with sporadic traces of whole blueberries. I couldn't resist picking off the blueberries (that's why they are missing from the picture), which popped my mouth like sweet ikura; the cake was dense and moist but otherwise rather ordinary.



Served warm, the signature scones were such darlings. I have had too many scones that crumble at the slightest pressure but this version bucked the trend. Taste-wise, they were suitably buttery, great with a smudge of raspberry jam.

Back in Copenhagen, I had to walk past the Royal Copenhagen and Georg Jensen factory outlets (they were situated side by side) to get to school. Luckily, I’m not a big fan of porcelain and minimalist homeware or I would definitely have problems getting to school on time. Perhaps a cafe within those compounds would have tempted me to stray.



Writer's note: After revisiting my archives, I realised that
the cakes at
Royal Copenhagen Tea Lounge
seem
positively boring,
compared to what
Copenhagen really
has to offer.

Hello to you exchange folks, enjoy it while it lasts... Sigh.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hellos... Just wondering: Were the exterior of the scones crusty enough such that it's rather hard on the outside, and soft and buttery inside?

Have you tried the English afternoon tea at Goodwood Park Hotel's Cafe L'Espresso? I enjoyed the scones (though it involved picking the crustier ones that are placed under the warm light), but it sure isn't worth to pay $40 for the pastries (plus ambience).

yixiaooo said...

hey JY, i see we are getting all CSI on scones here... i wouldn't describe the contrast as this vivid but i don't think the scones can be described as "soft and buttery"... buttery yes and in a melts-inyour-mouth sorta way.

i haven't tried goodwood park's high tea (or most high tea buffets for that matter). reason being though i'm sure the food served is worthy of talk, the whole 'face-stuffing' or 'watching somebody esle face-stuff' scenario just doesn't quite appeal to me. i prefer places that are quieter and modest.

yes i do agree that scones must be served warm for maximum pleasure!

Anonymous said...

Yeps my friend and I have been going CSI on Singapore's scones cos we can't seem to find good ones here!

I don't mean to say the buffet is meant for you to stuff loads of food, but since my friends and I are into English afternoon tea and we only know that there is one at Goodwood Park, we decided to try the scones there. Turned out the scones were not bad, but there may be better ones at other places which we dont know. I've heard that Cedele's and Four Leaves' scones are not bad, I've yet to try them though!

yixiaooo said...

I MUST make it point to visit Goodwood Park then. I haven't tried four leaves, despite living in such close proximity...

Cedele's scones are pretty tasty but THEY CRUMBLE before making it past your lips..! haha.. (see- http://hautestuff.blogspot.com/2006/10/breakfast-at-cedele.html).

Royal Copenhagen's scones are definitely "as basic as it gets". you will like Cedele's if you like your scones adorned with 'stuff'.