Sunday, May 5

Apr DOTM: Tebasaki Chicken Wings

Since my trip to Yamachan in Tokyo, I have had half a mind to replicate those moreish wings back at home. I don't think I have replicated it a 100% for an obvious reason stated below but I believe I have found an even better version.

Yamachan famed wings are known to be double fried and I absolutely abhor deep-frying at home. If you have an air-fryer, this would work too. I, instead, opted for oven fried. Sure it might not beget the same effect as double-frying but it's 10 times less messy and guilt-laced.

This sticky glaze is an absolute winner and that extra pop of seasoning at the end is a must. Enjoy! I can't wait to make them again.


Ingredients
  • 1kg chicken wings 
  • 2.5 teaspoons baking powder 
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  1. Pat wings dry with paper towels.
  2. Toss wings in baking powder and salt. Do not use baking soda!
  3. Bake at 120C for 30 minutes, then at 220C for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
For the glaze:

  • 3 TBSP dark brown sugar (packed) 
  • 3 TBSP soy sauce 
  • 3 TBSP sake 
  • 3 TBSP mirin 
  • 1 teaspoon ginger juice (grate the ginger and squeeze out juice) 
  • 1 medium cloves garlic (grated)
  1. Make the glaze by putting the sugar, soy sauce, sake, mirin, ginger juice, and garlic in a shallow pan. Heat over medium high heat until it turns to a sticky glaze (around 8-10 mins). Don't walk away as the sauce might burn.
  2. Transfer to a large bowl and allow the glaze to cool. 
  3. Toss the chicken in glaze.
  4. Season with salt and pepper.

No comments: