Monday, May 15

Mother's Day Musings

For as long as I can remember, I never saw myself with sons. I would have daughters, just like my mother. Besides, what on earth would I do with boys?!

Growing up, I never had brothers and most of my friends are females, so having boys was a whole new ball game to me. I'm really glad that throughout these past few years, KW has served as a Barometer of Boyish Behaviour; whenever the boys get up to something that completely baffles me, KW is there to remind me that boys are a different breed but by no means, less capable of love and affection. 

Just days ago, there was the cutest exchange:
Russell, in a bid to butter me up, proclaimed, "Mama, when 奶奶gives me a snack, I say, 'Thank you 奶奶for the snack!'"

I replied, "What snack did 奶奶give you? Was it good?"

Russell went silent, almost pretending not to hear me.

Lukey suddenly said, "Kor Kor say, 'Thank you for the chocolates!'"

Russell, "I only ate one!"
Lukey, Keeper of Secrets. Not.

Sometimes I still can't believe I have two incredibly loving boys who make me laugh. They are both so different yet they bask in each other’s company. It makes my heart sing when they hold each other’s hands while walking, sing and excite one another over planets/dinosaurs/human body. We have our moments but these boys never fail to crack me up.


I'm not going to lie. The weekend - and especially Mother's Day Sunday - was bittersweet. While we celebrated with a lovely meal, this Mother's Day also caused a resurgence of inadequacy. The inadequacy I felt as a child. I thought those feelings were long gone; turns out I just did a pretty good job of burying them. In a way, the silver lining to all of this is that I know my boys ought to receive the most affection and affirmation from us their parents - not grandparents, helpers, teachers etc.

I don't have a particularly eloquent way of ending this thread but I know for - fact that as a mother, I will do my best to never make them feel like they don't matter.

On this day, I hope all mothers continue to have loving and meaningful relationships with your close ones, and especially with yourself!

No comments: