Thursday, March 9

My favorite podcasts, what's yours?

For the last year or so, I have been binge-listening to podcasts. The long journeys to and fro work have become a scared avenue for me to immerse myself in another world.

When I started out with podcasts, I was going through a tough time at work and need to learn more about myself. Hence, I rotated around podcasts that focused on self-discovery, mindfulness and healthy living. I then moved onto podcasts about current affairs and human behaviour during the US elections period. These past few weeks, I have been obsessed with crime, thriller and human consent. Yup, heavy stuff which does not always make for the best Honey-how-was-your-day? type of conversations.

| Self-Discovery, Mindfulness and Healthy Living |

Over It And On With It by Christine Hassler is great for those who would love a life coach but can't afford one (yup, that's me). Very practical advice and Christine's voice is made for podcasts.

Andrea Owen's Your Kick Ass Life Coaching consists no-nonsense, no-BS life advice. Though I don't drink, I liked her mini series on alcoholism and sobriety.

Current Affairs |

One of the first that I started on, HBR Ideacast is weekly podcast featuring the leading thinkers in business and management from Harvard Business Review. Episode 543: Building Emotional Agility was helpful once upon a time.

With just one season, Revisionist History revisits from the past: an event, a person, an idea. Something overlooked. Something misunderstood. My favourite episodes are from his 3-part series on capitalization and human potential: Carlos Doesn’t Remember, Food Fight, and My Little Hundred Million. Bare bones capitalization at play.

Using science and storytelling, Hidden Brain helps us better understand our world. Bonus points for host Shankar Vedantam learned accent. Curious about the rich and how they live their lawless lives? Check out Episode 49: Filthy Rich.

Invisibilia is about the invisible forces that control human behavior – ideas, beliefs, assumptions and emotions. A good episode to start would be The Personality Myth.

RadioLab is a radio show and podcast weaving stories and science into sound and music-rich documentaries. Gray's Donation, on infant organ donation, was an exceptionally heart-wrenching story. Still get a lump in my throat when I think about the baby Thomas.

| Law & Crime |

More Perfect dives into the rarefied world of the US Supreme Court. Perhaps because I am a mum, I found Adoptive Couple v. Baby Girl gripping.

Criminal is a podcast about stories of people who've done wrong, been wronged, or gotten caught somewhere in the middle. I particularly loved Episode 49: The Editor.

I know there are really good podcast are there such as Serial. I haven't tried them out as I am worried they will be too dark.

Do you listen to podcasts? Feel free to share your favourites!

No comments: