Monday, August 25

Thirds at Kilo & Pact, Orchard Central

For some reason, last weekend was pretty rough on my system. Far from being the usual restful weekend, all I wanted to do was vegetate on the couch/bed/any flat surface. And I thought the second trimester would be breeze... Right.

Thankfully, days like these were also filled with many "Keep Calm and Count Your Bloody Blessings" moments. Take Sunday lunch with the family at Kilo @ Pact for instance. In addition to the pork belly rice bowl, salmon quinoa donburi and salt & pepper short ribs that we had previously, a bunch of other stuff went from farm to table to our bellies in record time.


I would proclaim my favourite dish of the day was the avocado wasabi tuna tartare. Rich, creamy yet punchy, it was something I could inhale if it were served in a bucket.


I chose the roasted pork belly with sweet potato hash as my chosen main. It was rather delicious but when it comes to meat, I am still a whole-slab-of-protein kind of person.


Unfortunately, a commonplace dish like the Kilo Smashburger was far from being a slam dunk. Dry beef patties and insipid greens, this is one dish I would probably ask you to stay away from. It was edible but you know, let's not waste time.



As I have mentioned before, despite its name, portions at Kilo are less than weighty. I ended up ordering another main course - prawn flautas, heavily (perhaps a wee bit too heavily) drizzled with chipotle may, avocado cream and pico de gallo. A tasty dish nonetheless.


Then, I turned the dish and I saw A FRIED EGG! Have I mentioned what a cheap date I am? Dump a fried egg on any dish in front of me and watch me grovel.


I didn't take to the basil panna cotta initially but it sat in front of me - forlornly - and I took pity on it by scooping through every last spoonful of it. It was kind of odd yet oddly intriguing. 


The pumpkin churros sounded promising on paper but the actual churros were as dense as the accompanying chocolate. Boo and yay, at the same time. The warmth of freshly fried churros was appreciate. 


Three scoops of ice cream might seem a little excessive for one molten chocolate lava cake but noone at the table was complaining. The lava cake itself was exemplary - think thinnish crusty walls and molten-y center. Oh, those sugar-coated walnut... Let's just say there wasn't any 'caring and sharing' with the little one. 

No comments: