Friday, July 19

Yesderdae & Chantily Patisserie

I swore I wouldn't be one of those parents who splurged on crazyass 3D cakes for their over-entitled precious tikes. I tsked, snorted and rolled my eyes at parents who went all out just to impress friends and relatives. 

  

Then, my kid got his crazyass 3D cake. Karma?

Oh no, I don't have to eat my words just yet. It was my elder sister who insisted on a "massive cake" (her words, not mine) for her munckin nephew, thereby saving me from a classic foot-in-mouth moment. 


Baked by the crazy-talented self-taught Christy of Yesterdae (link here), I got to admit this rubber duckie rainbow cake with maple cream cheese frosting was pretty darn cute. 

NOOO, don't turn me into one of THOSE parents! Only Bengawan Solo cakes for you till you are old enough to get yer own cake, buddy.


The balloons matched the cake. A pretty coincidence. Well, not really since I told the balloon guys to make them "as colourful as possible" (again, my sister's words, not mine; I was just the messenger) and I guess the rainbow is the epitome of all things colorful. 


Recycling party decor. Yup, that's my kind of thing. 


Our rubber duckie found his masculinity compromised by a bunch of pretty tarts from Chantily Patisserie (link here). To be honest, I hadn't even heard of Chantilly Patisserie till my mum said, "My friend's daughter, also an ex St Nicks girl trained in Paris..."

Ecole Gastronomique Bellouet Conseil, to be specific. Would you like to try and pronounce that, brave soul?


I prefer to exhibit other talents such as tart noshing. 


We ordered an assortment of tarts, namely Salted-Caramel Chocolate, Strawberry Vanilla Bean, Lemon Meringue as well as a pastry, Chocolate Berries (chocolate mousse, mixed berries confit and chocolate sponge, covered with dark chocolate glaze).


Wow, these pastries offered a serious dose of loveliness to the dessert spread. Just observe how neat and uniform they are!

By the time I re-gained my bearings from the savouries, I could only squeeze in a few bites of the Lemon Meringue Tart and Chocolate Berries. One was all "Pucker me up, sweetie" while the other was a whiplash of bittersweet decadence. Amazing stuff.

 

Better luck next time, puggies! 


2 comments:

Bern said...

hahahaa, I totally get your sister's mindset. if my nephew lived in SG instead of Germany, i'd probably be the same as your sister and spoil him silly!

but while we're on this topic, bengawan solo cakes, while a little fuddy duddy and not super droolsoomly cool, are soooooo cute!!!!!

yixiao said...

and surprisingly yummy too!

=)