Sunday, May 11

Chinatown Ice Cream Factory, New York City

A couple of weeks back, my younger sister messaged me, “I love New York! Chinatown is amazing…”

The next day, she msned me, “You must try Chinatown Ice Cream Factory!”

Naturally I took her first sms with a pinch of salt since she was, after all, Deprived in Durham and thus highly susceptible to bouts of extreme dumplings-induced delirium. However, I thought her second comment was worth checking out.





Located on Bayard Street, The Original Chinatown Ice Cream Factory has been delighting ice cream lovers since 1978. As I checked out the tons of merchandise, I thought to myself, “This is America alright… You can’t get an ice cream without passing past their array of t-shirts, caps, key chains.”



The ice cream variety that day wasn’t incredibly exciting and most of the exotic flavours featured on their website were missing. Nonetheless, having walked thus far I got a double scoop of Don Tart and Zen Butter.

The Don Tart was inspired by Chinese dim sum Dan Tart, the egg tart. Yeah you know, it tasted somewhat like the real thing. Creamy, eggy, make that really eggy... would have been awesome if they could have found a way to weave in the puff pastry.

What I really liked was the Zen Butter, a peanut butter ice cream, speckled with toasted sesame seeds. Or maybe I’m just incapable of feeling otherwise when it comes to peanut butter...

Chinatown Ice Cream Factory
65 Bayard Street (between Mott Street and Elizabeth Street)
New York, NY 10013
Phone 212-608-4170

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, an egg tart flavour ice cream? awesome!

yixiaooo said...

yeap and it was de-lovely!