Tuesday, April 8

Canelé Pâtisserie Chocolaterie, Strike 3

Everybody needs a friend like Zhu.

Somebody whom you can trust. Someone whom you can share the most no-holds-barred thoughts with and not worry about being judged. You may not always need to have this but time does give you the luxury of honesty.

For Zhu and I, we are well-informed of each other's idiosyncrasies and faults but we still love each other to bits. Each time we get together, I feel like we are starring in an episode of 'Twentysomethings Say the Darnest Things!'. You can call it a 'rant session' but I prefer 'cleansing ritual', where we purge all the bitchiness and insecurities, ponder about life circa 2012 over coffee and pastries.

Of course what happens or gets whispered in [insert cafe name], stays in [insert cafe name].



Speaking of pastries, I had the Cafe Caramel that was layered with milk chocolate coffee mousse, biscuit chips, hazelnut praline, and crispy and salted caramel. I'm obsessed with layers so this pastry was awesome. At Canele, I always make it a point to scrutinize every ingredient that makes up the pastry. If you see this nutter glued to the glass display, squinting at the font size 6 description, as if she were analyzing the o-rings on NASA spacecraft.. yup that's probably me.



I really liked the Cafe Caramel. The multifarious layers, the mix of hard and soft elements, this pastry would have been my answer for the "Which Pastry Best Describes you" sort of personality tests. I would like to think this dessert was made for me but of course I'm no Anna Pavlova, inspiration to a meringue dessert that bears her namesake.



Zhu chose the Italian classic, made with marsala mascarpone mousse, finger sponge soaked in coffee, white rum and brandy. I took a bite and all I can say is it was one tiramisu made with enough alcohol to fail a breathalyser test.

Spending quality time with Zhu was great- I felt as if I had been hand-delivered a letterpress invitation to Can'tComplainAboutLife Land. =)

So much to blog, so little time! Tom Ton, Recess @ Old School. Fine Cuts!. Astons Prime.



Mum celebrated her birthday yesterday. Birthdays are usually a quiet affair in my family. No fancy David Tutera-ish parties, usually just dinner and cake for symbolic purposes, birthday song optional. This year with both outbound sisters sending their love via smses, we had an extremely hush hush affair with dinner at Astons Prime over the weekend and on the actual day, a cake Paradiso di Nocciola from Swissbake.

I especially chose to get a cake from Swissbake because they do "itty-bitty cakes". Most bakeries and pastisseries sell gargantuan cakes, almost as if denying coteries the right to celebrate with a cake. Anyway, I couldn't go wrong with my favorite bakery and the Paradiso di Nocciola, a hazelnut rocher cake with its light chocolate cream and rum-soaked biscuit inlay, was a hit.



Just in case you were wondering why there are only 3 candles, well my mum and I both suffer from Dorian Gray complex so she has declared herself to be Forever 30.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awwwww...

and yes i tell you... if anyone ever gets to hear about WHAT we talk about... (faints)

yixiaooo said...

=p