Saturday, April 5

Nutty Affair, Frujch at SMU

When a friend told me she recently got attached, say-it-like-it-is me replied, "Wow, you still have time to get attached?"

Like seriously, it was 'friendship faux pas'. Granted it wasn't the most politically correct thing to say, I was genuinely surprised by her willingness to commit to a relationship, especially since we were approaching Crunch Time in school.

I'm not all heartless. I even like love songs, well some of them. The other day, one-hit-wonder Lonestar's 'Amazed' was playing over the radio and for the benefit of the less-informed, the chorus went something like this:

Every little thing that you do, I'm so in love with you
[BLAHBLAH SOMETHING SAPPY]
Every little thing that you do, Baby, I'm amazed by you


I mean, seriously! If someone were to sing that to me, I would be like, "Honey, I know you love me but all I did was hand you the car keys, so can you please wipe that jaw-dropping expression off your face?"

or

"Darling, what's with that look? Did you just receive the credit card bill?"

Yeah, I'm sure a Die Hard Romantic is just dying to get out.

Last week I met Diana met for brunch at Frujch, where they have amazing toasties. I love toasts- the aroma, the chewy tear-ability of it; in my Dream Home, I'll get myself a toaster, not just any toaster but a panini grill. At Frujch, the Port O' Bello Melt has its unofficial fan club but it's the Rosemary Me? that gets me crooning. 'I DO' to rosemary chicken and lingoberry.

That day for brunch, I had a Nutty Affair toastie.



The Nutty Affair toastie combined a few of my loves, peanut butter and hazelnut chocolate, and I'm guessing it kind of symbolises a lot of relationships these days. You have the honeymoon period where despite the bumpy ridges, everything is lovey-dovey oozy like the peanut butter and sweet like hazelnut chocolate; but as you get into it, you notice the itsty peanut bits- the grittier side of things. Overall, being in a relationship is addictive and some just can't get enough of it- pretty much like how I feel towards toasties.



Maybe I'm just too used to singlehood. I can't imagine sacrificing my lifestyle or sharing my time with somebody esle. However I'm hopeful (bearing the same level of optimism towards solving global warming and world poverty) and I guessing when I eventually meet You-had-me-at-Hello, it wouldn't be such a Nutty Affair after all.

P.S Student-run Frujch closes for good after this week. Hand to my heart, I'm really terribly upset.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh nooo! How come?
I really liked the place...my church held a retro themed event there over the Easter weekend and I really liked the place...woohoo to the Air Hockey machine!

yixiaooo said...

hey stef, the students who are running it are graduating this term =(

Anonymous said...

goddamm the graduation clause....arghhhhh....well it was good while it lasted... =(

By the way,a birthday treat from some friends had me end up at The Screening Room at Ann Siang Hill...awesome stuff...do check it out!