Tuesday, June 10

Boston

Four years on, I'm still loyal to my Fujistu Lifebook. Though it's clearly showing its age, I'm hesitant to replace it- just crossing my fingers, knees and toes that it would last another half a year. They call me 'sentimental'.

I caught Sex and The City for the second time over the weekend with my sister and mum. Though I'm not a follower of the series, the movie was entertaining enough, though like Samantha Jone's hair hair extensions in the last scene, it was a wee bit too long. Quite frankly I didn't even find the fashion that fantastic. Shoulder pads and polka dots, I thought the looks were dated... I guess my favourite fashion move is still The Devil Wears Prada. But I must admit both times I caught it, both times I had a lump in my throat when Miranda and Steve met up at the Brooklyn Bridge.

Because of my laptop, I've been reading alot of tech gadgets these days, from cameras to USB thumbdrives to -naturally- laptops. The latest bombshell is of course the new Apple IPhone. I liked the part in the movie when Carrie admitted she didn't know how to use the IPhone. Although I refuse to consider the Mac for a laptop, I must say the IPhone looking mighty attractive.


It's took me quite a while to get back to writing about Boston. I finished 17 New York posts in a blitz and sort of fizzled out by the time I got onto Boston. I thought about making do with just picture-posting and a couple of one liners but decided against it.

Why?

Well, for the very simple reason that my time spent in Boston warranted similarly awesome blog treatment.

It was just a 4 hour plus coach ride but I felt light years away from New York. New York was amazing. I ate heartily and shopped discriminately (though window shopping was a blast). I got to be honest though, the first couple of days practically de-romanticized everything I watched and read in the media. At 10am in the morning, I was surprised to see bags of trash on the pavement. And it wasn’t just one particular street or a shadier part of the city (I was in Nolita). I guess in Singapore, we really take it the invisible help for granted.

Boston, on the other hand, was incredibly peaceful. People were extremely pleasant, strangers said 'Hello' as if they really meant it and drivers stopped for pedestrians even though we didn't have the right of way!


Boston in April


Boston in April

It was such a live-able place until Edward (my awfully gracious host) informed me about the negative 20-30 degree Celsius winters. Then, it went from 'ooo, great for retirement' to fuggettaboutit. When I was there (about a month back), it was flowering everywhere and I couldn't help but stop to admire the flowers. It felt like being in one of those Perfect Town movie sets.


Boston in April


Boston in April


Boston in April

Then I came across the funniest street sign...

Photobucket

Can you show me the way to Devotion Street?

Yup, walk down Love Lane, past Commitment Corner towards Anniversary Avenue...

As you can probably tell, I have a nerdy-wordy penchant for alliteration but anyway it would have a real AWWW-insert-dreamy-look street sign had it not been for the additional sign below it.


Don't go down Devotion Street, it's a Dead End!

It just cracks me up. Sorry, that's just cynical ol' me. =)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey glad to hear that you are using a Fujitsu laptop...I used to worked there! I've always loved the simple yet sleek designs and were so proud of my company's product then. I have since left but somehow the design is not as hot as before...hmmm.

yixiaooo said...

Hey Joyz, I totatlly agree on the design part... =)