Tuesday, July 3

Dinner at Home

2.5 months into my internship and my caller ID still reads, “Legal Department”. I have always wondered why colleagues either pick up my phone within 2 dial tones or not pick it up AT ALL.

There’s something about weekends. Everything just feels more special on the weekends. Even dinner at home. Well, more like ESPECIALLY dinner at home, considering how we only have full attendance around the table this time of the week.

Once after breakfast at Da Paolo, we decided to doggie-back some stuff back for dinner. Breakfast to dinner? That’s my family life for you- after breakfast, we talk about lunch and plan for dinner. Either that we go to Tampopo. It’s one very thought-provoking lifestyle.

That being said, I’m not complaining...

So as I was saying, we bought stuff from Da Paolo Gastronomia- an awesome one-of-a-kind store is where I would get most of my grub, should I take part in Channel 4’s Come Dine With Me. Shhh.

What we bought from Gastronomia:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Pumpkin salad tossed in pine nuts and dill

As I make it a point to ward off beta-carotene-rich food (Cedele's carrot cake doesn't count), the guilt accompanying this pumpkin salad made it all the more enjoyable. How did it taste? Like a somewhat-sweet potato salad.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Our main course was grilled prawns and we matched them with pasta bought from Da Paolo's. Squid ink fettuccine and black truffle fettuccine. The flavours were surprisingly subtle… Oh how I detest this word, it only means I’m trying hard and pathetically so to sniff out some flavour.. Did we do something wrong here because my mum did say that the black truffle pasta was very aromatic before she tossed it into the pot? Now, it seems as though the flavours were lost in the boiling water...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The tiger prawns, on the other hand, were a roaring success- grilled with their shells on, with firm moulds of flesh. There was a bowl of vinegrette dressing but I prefer to keep uber-fresh crustaceans, unadorned with sauces of any kind.

What on earth...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I know these store-bought pizzas look totally out of place but I just couldn't resist after reading about them. Though it looked absolutely gorgeous fresh from the oven, I found it too bready for my liking. Might be because I've grown accustomed to linen-thin pizzas...

No comments: