Friday, June 15

PS Cafe

Last Saturday, I was introduced to Someone over breakfast and the first thing (after 'Hi, my name is...') he said to me was, "I read your blog".

What a relief. I like it when my reputation precedes me. No, really it justs makes things so much easier as I'm exonerated from the weird stares everytime I whip out the camera or request that everyone stop and lay off their food before I take a shot. Gee, it must be fun eating with me. Haha. Don't worry folks, I'm on my best behaviour otherwise.

So Someone was in town for 6 hours transit, there was little time to waste and most brunch places only open for business at 11-ish. At 9 in the morning, there weren't many blogworthy options until we found out PS Cafe's brunch starts from 9:30am. Now, PS Café is one of those places I love to bring people to because it is inherently unique; it breaks away from the sterile brick and mortar atmosphere and is proof that Singapore isn't just 'Orchard Road and Crystal Jade'.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Picture taken from the PS Café website.

But we all know it can be a b***h to get a reservation there in this cooler-than-thou café but I say, the early bird gets the table.

This little pig went to Harding Road.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Wagyu Steak Sandwich

This little pig had roast beef (an actual line from the original)

We had the Wagyu Steak Sandwich- tender marinated wagyu beef, fried eggs, Danish bacon, caramelized onions, horseradish, tarragon crème, romaine lettuce, sliced tomatoes, served with baked beans and steak fries on the side.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Now, that's a whole lotta commas stuff going on but its all good. On my first bite, I bit into the ball of beef fat and my heart skipped a beat. The conglomeration of sweet and savory, tender and sinewy created an hubbab of flavours and textures, missing in other sandwiches. Inevitably, with that many ingredients, some were bound to be Lost In Ingestion; but the sandwich was sensational anyway. Baked beans were blah but chunky hand cut fries were gratifying.

Now, I would not advise you eat it whole as PS Café is the place to see and be seen so if an ex-classmate sees you shoving down a massive steak sandwich with the onions and tomatoes dripping all over the place and a horseradish smudge on your right cheek... Chances are you will be the conversation starter at the next reunion and I'm willing to bet that's not the impression you want to leave behind.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Caesar Salad

This little pig stayed with Caesar

Smoked crispy bacon, baby coz, baked giant croutons, poached egg, smoked chef's dressing and freshly grated Parmesan, this was an All Hail Caesar salad. I'm not a salad person but credit goes to the kitchen for making this such a fine-looking dish.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Pancakes with Stewed Apples

This little pig snucked on pancakes

The pancakes with stewed apples is yet another share-or-you'll-be sorry plate. The menu description read: "buttered cinnamon pancakes, stewed apples, citrus infused prunes, honey and syrup" but I didn't detect any cinnamon or citrus.

There are many ways to describe these pancakes but "soft and fluffy" probably isn't one of them. In fact, the three pancakes looked a little tired and heavy (imagine someone with a hangover), not to mention bland without the company of the sides. For those who never figured out if they like their pancakes with syrup or honey, this is your chance to do so. The stewed apples were alright and the prunes were shoulder-shruggingly sweet.

I have tasted better and less fussy pancakes elsewhere.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
An empty restaurant at 9:30 am but the eatery was FULL a couple of hours later.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This little pig said, "Wee, wee, wee!
I can't find my way home."

The pink taxi cards reminded us of the restaurant's 'middle of somewhere' location. However, it would be more advisable for you to take a walk after that heavy meal and it's a great opportunity to explore the vicinity. Though we had to pass on dessert, it was an undeniably indulgent morning. I love mornings such as these when the only care you have in the world is how done you want your poached egg to be. Sigh, even kids didn't look half as bratty that morning.

P.S. I love PS Cafe's chairs, especially those with the wood-panel armrests- they are perfect for my imaginary dream home!

2 comments:

bossacafez said...

PS cafe looks like a really nice place. thx for the recommendation =)

yixiaooo said...

yeap.. it's definitely worth checking out!