Wednesday, November 13

Godmama Peranakan Restaurant, Funan Mall

Many moons ago, a couple of girlfriends and I caught Merdeka (excellent play) and before the play, we had a lovely dinner at Godmama Peranakan Restaurant. Now perhaps I'm not a connoisseur in Peranakan food but I thought the dishes were pretty authentic, punchy and flavourful. It was also a good place to catch up with friends if you are around the vicinity and in need of non-hipster grub. 


Our two appetisers were just plain ol' comfort food - substantial pucks of Ngoh Hiang, made with a blend of fresh prawns, minced meat and water chestnut, as well as Nyonya Fried Wings, coated with a special spice seasoning served with housemade belacan mayo. 

The Babi Assam is apparently their head chef’s signature dish. Braised pork belly gently simmered in a heady and tangy tamarind stew. It would be hard to resist ordering a couple more bowls of rice just to inhale all that sauce. 


Another winner is the Beef Rendang, which consisted of tender beef shin braised in potent sauce. Again, cue the rice order.

To keep things in check, we also had Godmama's Nyonya Chap Chye that made with with prawn bisque.


The highlight of the meal for me was the Nasi Ulam. I have never had this meal before but the classic Nyonya herb rice won me over with its melange of Peranakan classic herbs and spices. Could be a little dry and herb-y for some but I found it to be super tasty.

As we had to rush for the performance, we only ordered one dessert - the Longan Red Date Pudding. Now you know me and sticky date puddings. I couldn't keep my fork off this luscious and moist rendition.

No comments: