Friday, August 12

Recipe: Fried Hokkien Mee

I was never a Fried Hokkien Mee person till I met KW. Though Penang Char Kway Teow is still my first love, I find it hard to resist a solid plate of Fried Hokkien Mee, especially one made with thin beehoon. I was partially motivated by my boys too since they both love Fried Hokkien Mee. I guess my maternal instincts kicked in, and I wanted to master something they could both identify with in their childhood. 

On National Day, I decided to try making Fried Hokkien Mee for our family potluck; this is my second attempt and I was determined to make a new and improved version since my first attempt was just 'good enough.' This is by no means near hawker standards (which only goes to show how sinful the hawker versions are), but I am quite proud to say this homemade version is my signature dish. I might be another version should the occasion arise but in the meantime, I am sharing my tried-and-tested recipe should you want to try making Fried Hokkien Mee too. 



Fried Hokkien Mee 
Adapted from EC Kitchen SG
Serves: 8 pax

Ingredients 

Prawn Stock
  • 2 tablespoon oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 shallots, minced
  • 300g prawn shells (from ~800g of prawns)
  • 1 litre chicken stock
  • 2-4 huge pork knuckle bones
  • 500g pork belly
Noodles
  • 2 tablespoon oil + 2 tablespoon oil (to use after frying the egg)
  • 4 eggs (beaten)
  • 500g prawns (from ~800g of prawns)
  • 2 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 200g thin bee hoon (or thick, if you prefer so)
  • 400g Hokkien yellow noodle
  • 15 stalks of spring onion, sectioned
  • 3 tablespoon fish sauce
  • 3 tablespoon shaoxing wine
Instructions

Prawn Stock
  1. Add the oil to a heated saucepan over medium heat.
  2. Add garlic and shallots to the saucepan when the oil is heated and wait out for the aroma. Don't bot burn the garlic and shallots.  
  3. Add prawn shells and stir fry for 3-5 mins until fragrant (the fragrance is unmissable – I keep sticking my head into the pot to inhale the aroma).
  4. Add bones, pork belly and chicken stock to the shells and boil for ~45 mins.
  5. Set aside for later use; I like to do this early in the day and let the stock do its thang over the course of the day.
  6. Fish out and slice up the pork belly for later use.
Fry the noodle 
  1. Add some oil to a heated wok or deep frying pan over medium.
  2. Add in beaten eggs and fry away. Break it up into smaller pieces when the eggs are cooked.
  3. Push the fried eggs to the side and add 2 tablespoon of oil to the centre of the pot
  4. Add in minced garlic and stir fry until the scent of garlic hits you (without burning the garlic)
  5. Add in sliced pork belly and stir fry for another 1 minute – FYI, if you want, you should add some squid too at this point.
  6. Add in the noodles and stir fry for another minute.
  7. Add in about 8-10 ladles of prawn stock (about enough to cover the noodles), spring onion, fish sauce and shaoxing wine. Work those elbows and toss a few times. 
  8. Cover the lid and boil for 10 minutes; add the prawns in 5 mins before the noodle is ready.
  9. Remove the pot from the heat and serve hot. If your guys are running late, leave it in the wok with the cover on to harness the magic.

No comments: