Wednesday, June 1

Greenwood Fish Bistro, Greenwood Avenue

HOLY FISH, IT'S JUNE! *Panic*

Ok breathe, let's talk about real fish.

The intention was to take my grandmother out for lunch. She had recently been hospitalized and when we visited her, she told me how much she loves raw oysters. Bless her 86-88 year old heart. Thanks to Google, we found Greenwood Fish Bistro at Greenwood Avenue and made a trip down for my grandmother's oysters. The lady wanted oysters and she got her oysters. I didn't have any, hence the lack of pictures.

What I did have was a great meal. These people know how to treat fish with respect. Simple preparation but fresh ingredients and bold flavours. Bam!

For starters, we had the calamari and swordfish belly.


I was a happy camper with the ubiquitous calamari. Good price point. Great crumb. You would be hard-pressed to find a better version in town.


The real deal was the swordfish belly carpaccio. Though it was heavily seasoned, you still taste the oozy fish fat. Akin to the Western you sheng. Just orders!


We ordered fish and chips for the boys. Instead of the house version (which uses dory), we ordered a red snapper version. I can't fault the dish but it was safe. As in safe boring.


Get their chargrilled fish instead. I had the barramundi, my dad had the ocean trout and both dishes were amazing! What sealed the deal was the oomphy mushroom sauce. The mushroom sauce was so good, I asked for more. I've never done that in my entire life. Ask for more sauce? Who's this person?! Bring on the saaaucccceee!


KW ordered the smoked cheese burger. Burger in a seafood restaurant? Are you kidding me? Well, the joke was on the rest of us, because the burger was awesome! I loved they use brioche buns because we all know a white soft bun is perfect for soaking up meat juices right? The patty was great too.

Perfect tint of pink too, if I may add


For dessert, I ordered a key lime tart to share. Turns out half the family was too full and the other half no fan of citrus desserts. What's a girl to do? But turn to her cousin who she has not seen in more than a year, who just so happens to back for the month, taking a break from PH.D. studies in NYC, and who just so happens to declare key lime tart to be his all-time favourite dessert. I kid you not. Stranger things have happened but I'm glad my cousin enjoyed his share of the dessert.

Proving that desserts are not an afterthought at this seafood bistro, the key lime tart was a sweet tangy kiss encased within a thin buttery shell. Cest lovely!

All in all a superb meal. I personally would love to head back soon :)

No comments: