Wednesday, February 3

A return to Group Therapy Cafe, Duxton Road

When my younger sister suggested Group Therapy Cafe for family lunch, the first thought that came to my mind was "I don't want to eat Eggs Benedict..." It's not you, it's me. The Eggs Benedict at Group Therapy Cafe is pretty good but I am just not into brunch food. I am one of those weirdos who voluntarily wake up at 6am on weekends just to have some quiet me-time before the chaos (a total of 55 months worth of life) descends; by the time 11:30am rolls by, I am more than ready for proper lunch. Anything but eggs and pancakes please. 

But I knew better than to suggest somewhere else because, well that's another story altogether. Thankfully, I didn't have to eat eggs - or pancakes. Group Therapy Cafe has expanded their weekend brunch menu and it includes more than just variations of eggs and pancakes. Hallelujah!


I ordered the Grilled Chicken Salad, which came with a huge honking piece of boneless chicken thigh. If truth be told, I did only order this because I had seen pictures and was expecting a huge honking piece of boneless chicken thigh. Satisfying much. And healthy too, I think.


Instead of his default burger, KW chose to have the Rendang Taco Bowl. Fusion-confusion? Personally I thought it was pretty alright. The rendang was very tender and the spice levels definitely manageable; the cous cous salad on the side was pleasant too. I was surprised KW did not like it since he is usually the more forgiving and open-minded between the two of us. 


We ordered ravioli for the kids, and it was pretty good. Housemade ravioli with roasted mushroom filling, blankets by a shower of parmesan cheese, tomato sauce and truffle oil. Since I am not the biggest fan of tomato sauce (reminds me too much of the lousy bolognese I had as a kid), I might just order this again without the tomato sauce because everything else on the plate is delicious.


I haven't had a Sticky Date Pudding in a while, and it was great meeting its acquaintance. Lovely caramelised crust, indulgent toffee sauce, topped off with a creamy vanilla bean ice cream. Lap it up... just lap it up.


To jazz things up a little, I ordered a scope of bacon ice cream to go with their 4-layered carrot cake. You could hardly taste the bacon in the ice cream and the cake was rather dense, but I have very high tolerance for carrot cakes so it wasn't exactly apocalyptic.

This is my fourth visit to Group Therapy Cafe, and while they wont win any awards for their tasty-but-predictable food, I do appreciate their great service and relaxing till-non-pretentious atmosphere.

No comments: