Friday, January 2

Tiramisu, the only pick-up line that I need

Being in 2015 reminds me that I will be back in the office next week. After a 2-week holiday. BRUTAL. The first post of 2015 and I sound like a winner whiner *Woohoo* I will eventually be ok but the thought of it now sure is depressing.

I guess it is only fitting that I kick off the new year with one of my all-time favourite desserts, the Tiramisu. Inspired by a session at Cookery Magic, I made a non-alcoholic version for our Christmas and New Year Eve parties, and it was a surprise hit with many. A family friend asked me for the recipe so I thought it would be helpful to record it properly - let's never forget, history is written by victors.

*Cue dramatic music*

Anyway I love this recipe because it is a make-ahead no-brainer (you can watch how eye candy Donal Skehan makes it here), which means you have one less than thing to worry about 10 minutes before your guests arrive. I also love the addition of crunchy chocolate Varlhona balls for a different textural feel.

/ / /


Tiramisu
(Adapted from Donal Skehan's Chocolate Tiramisu; my words in Italics)

Serves 6 (er, more 12-15 regular beings)
  • 4 large free range eggs (I used 5 smallish eggs)
  • 120g of caster sugar (about 1/2 cup)
  • 500g of mascarpone
  • 1 teaspoon of good quality vanilla extract 
  • 250g savoiardi di fonni or ladyfinger biscuits 
  • 300g of best quality dark chocolate, in large thick shavings (grated this)
  • 150g of white chocolate, in large thick shavings (skipped this)
  • 350ml of espresso (I highly recommend Vietnamese coffee)
  • Splash of vin santo or Marsala (skipped this)
  • Cocoa powder to dust (I used grated dark chocolate instead)
  • A handful of crunchy chocolate Varlhona balls
  1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until it turns very pale yellow. Mix in the mascarpone and vanilla extract until lumps disappear and set aside.
  2. In a another bowl, whisk the egg whites until white and stiff. Add a large spoonful of the beaten egg whites to the mascarpone and gently mix through. Add the rest of the egg whites and fold through gently. Spread a little of the mascarpone mixture across the base of of your serving dish.
  3. Soak the biscuits in Vietnamese coffee for a split second each side and place them in the serving dish.
  4. Carefully spread a layer of the marscarpone mixture, and sprinkle over some grated dark chocolate and crunchy chocolate Varlhona balls.
  5. Repeat with the rest of the ingredients ending with a final layer of mascarpone mix.
  6. Finish with a sprinkle of grated dark chocolate and crunchy chocolate Varlhona balls.
  7. Leave in the fridge to set for around 8-12 hours.

No comments: