Friday, July 25

Xin Mei Congee, Blk 724 Ang Mo Kio

One Saturday afternoon, I dragged requested for KW to take me out for a savoury snack and we drove to nearby Ang Mo Kio Central as the food options there allowed us to cast a wider net.

Instead of my usual curry puff or man jian kueh, I decided to have a bowl of congee instead from Mei Xin Congee (#01-32, Blk 724 Ang Mo Kio Food Centre, Blk 724 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 6).


A huge allure of the congee was the domineering beacon of deep-fried you tiao that accompanied every bowl. The you tiao was still hot when I held onto it and you can imagine the expletives that went through my head when I greedily dunked it into the hot congee and wolfed down a big mouthful. Not my brightest moment.

To be honest, there isn't a whole bunch of ingredients waiting for you to unearth but the beauty is in the gruel itself. The of mixed pork innards and minced pork was wonderfully velvety and flavourful - a bowl of comfort food that I could lap up (slowly) everyday.

No comments: