Thursday, February 9

Pizzeria L'Operetta - a pizza for your thoughts

When I die, I don't want to go to heaven - unless it serves Neapolitan-style pizza. Till then, I shall concentrate on living and relish the fact that Singapore’s pizza scene has perked up over the last couple of years.


After lunch at Keisuke Tonkotsu King, my mum and I walked around Icon Village and I casually remarked to her that Pizzeria L'Operetta ((12 Gopeng Street #01-78) was a pizzeria I wanted to try out. It wasn’t even a bait but she took it hook, line and sinker. I did want to make up the meal before so we sat down for a second lunch and I made a mental note to get more shorts with elastic waistbands.

After visiting Napule in Tokyo, the idea of the Japanese churning out delicious, craveable pizza did, in fact, seem rather intuitive to me. Who makes the best pizza? The Italians in Italy, followed by the Italians in New York and the Japanese duh!

According to Catherine, owner Katsumi Mizutani even installed a Napoli-made traditional wood-fired oven, made with volcanic rocks from Mount Vesuvius. To paraphrase a famous saying, if one can't go to Mount Vesuvius, let Mount Vesuvius come to one.


We had the Diavola, which came with a salad and drink as part of a lunch set. Aesthetically the salad looked a little sad to be honest but it was quite tasty, especially after a healthy splash of olive oil.


The pizza was soft and a tad flabby in a good way; the crust puffed with considerable pride (it's pointless and heartbreaking to compare this with either Keste or Motorino); I loved the slight char and smokey aroma; and the flavour of fresh tomatoes was surprisingly domineering. The thing that knocked brownie points off this pizza were the scanty and unevenly distributed toppings.


All in all, a pleasing pie to be had – just ask mum.

No comments: