Wednesday, July 20

Magic formula

I love getting Wednesdays off. When I was in the corporate world, it was the worst day of the week for me because I had used up the goodwill spillover from the previous weekend and Fridays just seemed like an eternity away.

On my day off, I took the opportunity to catch Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2. Tis officially the season to go nutters about Harry Potter, ain't it? Did u re-read book #7 and the others subsequently in chronological order? Did you organise a Harry Potter movie marathon and get a kick out of watching their mini mes? Or were you super relieved that you can finally legitimately ogle at Tom Felton aka Draco Malfoy?

After Goblet of Fire, I found the fifth book, Order of the Phoenix, whiny and draggy. The sixth book, Half-Blood Prince, was doom gloom and everything in between (ok fine, the plot was too confusing for me to follow ) and I pretty much passed up on the seventh book, Deathly Hallows.

I caught Deathly Hallows 2 for closure's sake. A few little birds have told me that the last installment has a happy ending and I'm not one to spend 8 bucks on a movie that leaves me full of woe and dread - I can watch the news for that.

How did I find it? It was hmm, entertaining. There were a couple of touching scenes led by Narcissus Malfoy and Fred Weasley.

The epilogue - 19 years later - was creepy though - creepier than the parasite Voldemont who lived in Professor Quirrell's head and ever-hungry slithering Nagini.

1. Patching facial hair on teenage boys doesn't make them look like they are in the mid thirties. It just makes English wizard boys look like they are werewolves stuck in an awkward puberty stage.
2. Weasleys do not age well. Did the costume designer borrowed Kim Kardashian's butt pads for Ginny? And why does Ron looked like he got dragged out of a pub after slushing down one too many butterbeers and fried Mars bars.
3. Given her brains and ambition, why does Hermione look more like an Oxfam store volunteer and not a corporate hotshot?
4. Albus Severus Potter? Seriously, Harry... So much for we have no expectations and only want you to be happy, son.
5. I am still undecided over Draco's three piece suit. Though it seems a little bourgeois for 2030, maybe the fashion sense of the wizening world progresses far less slowly. Then again, he did cut a fine figure in those dark suits earlier...
6. Where's tiger mum Cho Chang?

Anyhoo, one more day to the weekend!

3 comments:

zee said...

loved your musings on the 2030 scene! haha. so true :)

Vi said...

haha you are too funny!

ok the final scene didn't happen in 2030, but in 2010. the series started much earlier and it ended with them being 30+ now!

yixiao said...

ah, that explains!