Tuesday, December 7

Somewhere Nice, Osia

Most of my friends asked if I had expected the proposal... well, yes and no.

When K suggested going “somewhere nice” for dinner (instead of our usual Sushi Tei / Shin Kushiya hangout) the evening before, I kind of thought, maybe he’s planning to do something memorable... HMMM.

But to cut the long story short, he didn’t propose and I was super duper gooey glad for that. Why? Simply because neither Resort World nor Australian celebrity chef Scott Webster’s Osia was exactly proposal-worthy.

Resort World, well, self-explanatory if you have been there. And Osia? The food was not bad, if not pretty good but the vibe was kind of part-meh, part-redeemable. Despite the wanting ambience, sitting at the bar table that overlooked the open kitchen helped somewhat.

Photobucket

Food-wise, we paid for a flat loaf of black olive rosemary flat bread that came with extra virgin olive oil and a tube of sundried tomatoes. Yes, bread isn't free here but I don't think most people would raise a free water debacle. Besides, the warm bread was tasty though I got to admit I was more fascinated with the adorable toothpaste tube. Apparently, you can order halves of any loaf to create one loaf but we didn't know that. Pity.

Photobucket

The Seafood Ice Experience seemed popular with diners but it was a little too gimmicky for our liking so we had the Butter Poached Lobster instead. I thought the mango relish would have killed the dish but instead, it brought out the lobster's natural sweetness. Scarcity was a real issue here because sweet lobster plus butter equals winner.

Photobucket

The Duo of Tasmanian Lamb was a pretty piece but it wasn’t as good as the Broiled Sea Perch. Neither of us wanted to tweet or update our Facebook status to tell others how tender or tasty it was.

Photobucket

Though the edamame beans and tofu reminded me of the token Asians in Glee, the sea perch was fantastic. I know fatty sea bass might be predictably good but it really was very satisfying.

Photobucket

The Valrhona Hot Chocolate Soup is an Osia signature though I find it quite odd label to label this common dessert as such. But hey, as much as I might look as if I'm belittling this common man-dessert, rich and intense molten chocolate with cold creamy ice cream (black pepper -sneeze-) is a killer darling combination.

Photobucket

Another sweet end to the meal was the macadamia nut tart and blood orange sorbet.

Photobucket

No comments: