Sunday, June 1

The Little Owl, New York City

I will definitely meet up with you in New York!

The first time I spoke those words, Charl and I had just entered freshman year. Thereafter, I made the same pledge year after year, like a jerk and his baggage full of weak excuses, unwilling to make that commitment to settle down.

Yes, I think I'm coming down in April.. Sorry, I received an internship offer... Next year ok?

Finally (said with much relief) at the end of our senior year, Charl and I finally met up at a charming little eatery on Bedford Street.



The Little Owl had a small but crisp menu that befitted its cute-as-a-button ambiance. With Chikalicious in mind for dessert, we had a light lunch, sharing the meatball sliders and their daily special, soft shell crab.



The folks at The Little Owl were really warm too. I was initially a little worried about how little we ordered and was prepared for the you-are-sharing? scowl but not only did they not mind, they even split our dishes for us.



The best part was an extra meatball slider they slipped in, which I was almost immediately thankful for. You know how in some restaurants, there is always this ONE dish that EVERYONE orders. At The Little Owl, it's got to be "Joey Campanaro's mmm-azing meatball sliders". Folks, you are in luck because I found the recipe! As a note of gratitude, please set aside a slider for me when you make some ok?



An example of 'how great things came in tiny packages', the beef-pork-and-veal meatballs were well-cooked despite their rotundness and tucked between garlic buns, topped with melted Pecorino Romano Cheese.



The soft shell crab made a seemly trip to the deep-fryer's and returned crisp but ethereally-light. Paired with heirloom tomatoes and cucumber salad, it was a great dish to welcome the arrival of Spring and the seasonal bounty it promised.


The stale uninteresting slice of bread that couldn't damper in the eatery's charm.



I can't think of a better place to meet up with Charl. If I had to use a cafe/ restaurant to describe Charl, it could definitely be The Little Owl. Why? I can't put my finger to it but it could be that killer mix of urban but down-to-earth aura; interesting without being complicated feeling; and how both managed to find their place in cosmopolitan cities without being tainted by the drudgery of excesses.

Hey if you went to business school, you would probably realise how hard it is to find people like Charl, let alone become close friends with them.

Savory New York

The Little Owl
90 Bedford Street (Grove Street)
Phone 212 741 4695

No comments: