Monday, December 17

Yung Kee, Hong Kong

It's funny how apart from Nobu, I didn't make it a point to visit (in)famous eating houses such as Luk Yu Tea House, Mak's Noodle House, Maxim's and Yung Kee. It wasn't as if I had a checklist to mark against every time I visited a Frommer's-recommended restaurant simply because I was confident of finding good food be it any hole in the wall tea house I popped into. Another reason was because I was more of a guest than a traveler and it JUST SO HAPPENED our family friends either recommended the place, took us there or helped make a reservation. On my last night in Hong Kong, we made a pilgrimage to the famous Yung Kee.

Located on Wellington Street at Central District, the restaurant may be sandwiched between typical narrow streets but it as noticeable as a slab of tuna in plain view of famished cats. To any hungry passer-by, the hanging roasted geese and duck window displays could give Bergdorf Goodman's "Fantasy" Christmas window display a good run for its money.

Inside, the restaurant was a scene of organized chaos: diners were tucking in with such gusto, simultaneously exchanging banter and comments; nifty service ensured plates and trays of food from were channeled from kitchen to table in the shortest amount of time. Peaces was ensured- so long as people were fed and nobody got in the way of the staff.

The menu was cause for mild amusement. A list of their awards and accolades beefed up the first few pages almost like a report card cum morale boosting propaganda. Dear Customers and Loyal Subjects, We are The Best Restaurant. NOBODY Does It Better!



As soon as we placed our order, we were greeted by Yung Kee's signature century eggs and pickled ginger. In contrast to the pretty in pink ginger, the gelatinous orbs could potentially be a regular on Fear Factor. Perhaps i will give them a try.. once I get over my resistance towards dark ominous-looking round bug-shaped er eggs.

We also had the double boiled mushroom soup, some sauteed greens and steamed bean curd in soya Sauce, which were faultless but not the reason we came for.



When In Rome, Do As The Romans Do. When In Yung Kee, Order the Roast Goose. Arh, wouldn't you just look at that glorious tint glistening away. How strangely therapeutic. In the 10 days I spent in Hong Kong, I ate more roasted duck, pigeon, char siew and pork belly than I had in months. It felt as if I ate my fill to last me indefinitely or at least, till the next time I visit Hong Kong.

The unexpected highlight for me was the steamed red garoupa. Before it was prepared, the live red garoupa attended casting call as it was brought to our table for our stamp of approval. I love the simplicity of this dish. Steamed bouncy flesh, drizzled with soya sauce and topped with spring onion shreds, its goodness underscored by the sheer freshness of the fish.

Touristy or not, Yung Kee has not lost any of that luster and is still performing to pack houses daily. Though among the locals, Yung Kee has earned the reputation of being a rip-off, this hasn't stopped the crowds from spilling over two floors (and possibly more?) of the restaurant.

No comments: