Tuesday, September 25

Japan in a Nutshell

I meant to update sooner but the internet at home has been down. Anyway, Japan in a pistachio-nutshell was AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME.

Only after my trip did I understand what it means "to take food seriously". Yes, food may play a significant role in many cultures but not one culture has exhibited a level of fanaticism that rivals the Japanese. Not the Chinese (health warning labels included). Nor the French or Italians (We still love you Nonna!). And contrary to what our STB proclaims, Singapore is nary the foodie's paradise. When I re-visit some of my blog entries, I feel like such a fraud, raving about plebeian dishes because after Japan, I realized much of what we have here is 60% (at best 70%) of what the best has to offer.

To tweak a De Beers advertising slogan, kaiseki delights may change with the season but dedication is forever. The underlining current of restaurants, cafes, depachikas and no signboard shops is an astounding sense of pride to produce something great.

So you ask, where can I get good stuff?

Truth is I can't give you a straight answer without leaving out somewhere here and then. Unless you intentionally veer into a tourist trap, a more than satisfying meal awaits the rumble in your tummy, the itch in your sweet tooth.

Life would never be the same again.


I realized whenever I travel I would always find a snack to shower all my love for. In Belgium, it was liege waffles; the calamari bocadilos in Madrid teased and in Greece, yup no surprise, fatty pork gyros satiated my big fat Greek holiday. In Japan, my heart went out to the humble red bean pancake.



Aw c’mon! What about takopachi? Okonomiyaki? Who are you kidding? Red bean pancakes? Singapore has that too!

Please, Singapore’s lukewarm dough pucks don’t even measure up.



I bought this seemingly ordinary doriyaki from Shin Osaka Station. For the first time in my life, I was handed a WARM doriyaki. See the dollop of red bean? Unlike what we get here, the red-bean-to-pancake ratio was most agreeable and every bite burst with red bean goodness.



Doraemon would have approved.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to sink my teeth into those red bean pancake, looks sooo yummy and they are sure not stingy with their red bean paste!

A query to ask about Japan: did you travel on a tour package? Would you recommend travelling on your own or to follow tour?

yixiaooo said...

Hey Joyz,

Definitely travelling on your own! It may be a little more tedious but IT'S WORTH IT. Don't don't don't join tour groups.. ARGHHH... Just don't!

HAHA

Anonymous said...

haha, thanks for the warning!! I'm just wondering how easy and cost efficient is it to travel by myself.

yixiaooo said...

Are you travelling only to Tokyo? Are you into shopping or the sightseeing?
- if shopping, I would suggest one way ticket to "shopping spots" and get the day metro pass for touristy spots
- if you are into sightseeing, do the reverse

Best to go Japanese Tourist Office at Raffles place to get travel guides. They have some pretty nifty walking guides.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tips...very helpful! I'm intending to travel to a few places i.e. Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto in Apr (to catch the cherry blossoms if possible). Well, I'm a greedy gal so I'm into both shopping and sightseeing! Haha! Probably get metro passes for both then! I heard their transportation is exp...

yixiaooo said...

Oh if you are travelling out of Tokyo, I would definitely suggest getting the JR Rail Pass, which allows you unlimited rides on bullet train (between cities) and JR lines (within cities).

Here's the website: http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en003.html

By the way, I'm toying with the idea of visiting Japan next Apr to.. HAHA

Anonymous said...

Haha, another well-deserving break? I was toying between the idea of either Japan or Eastern Europe. Finally decided on the former since my bf prefers that and the blogs that I visit regularly have all shown people going to Japan for holidays (that includes you!) I reckon these are all signs!

Look forward to more posts on Japan; I'll be depending on you to tell me the best foodie areas!

Chubbypanda said...

Doraemon is da bomb.