Sunday, January 6

Lucas, you are four


Minutes before this, my white chocolate mousse failed miserably (might have scarred me for life). Thankfully, I had some leftover coconut cream from the dry laksa dish I was preparing... 10 mins later, I had coconut buttercream, which actually worked out for the better. Presenting Lucas’ 3rd and final birthday cake: a homemade Caramel Popcorn Chocolate Cake with Coconut Buttercream.

Dear Lucas,

You are an incredible bundle of joy. At four, you have started to develop an acute sense of self-assurance and assertiveness. Instead of the shy space cadet we thought you were, you aren't afraid to use your voice to make a claim or defend yourself. Though sometimes I'll admit I miss that innocent hushed little fellow, you are making your presence felt and it's your turn to shine. Plus coupled with your cheeky innocence, it's hard to stay mad at you for long.

This is the year you are attending preschool by yourself and I'm glad you aren't disturbed by your brother's absence. With your brother in primary school, I feel ever the need to let you savour preschool.

Above all, performing is what you love to do these days. From Sam Smith to Macklemore and John Legnd, nothing gets you going like a good ballad. I'm remarkably impresed by your ability to memorise most of Sam Smith's greatest hits - though I have to admit your interest in rapping is both bewildering and amusing. When I see you perform, the way your eyes twinkle and the way your cheeks beam with such joy... I hope you never lose that sparkle.

Love,
Mama

2 comments:

JT said...

Your children sound so smart and have sophisticated tastes! How do you do it? My 3yo is only into nursery rhymes ...

yixiao said...

We play different kinds of music and the boys latched onto Sam Smith for the longest time =)