Friday, August 14

Sin Lee Foods, Jalan Bukit Ho Swee

I really enjoyed my time at Sin Lee Foods. Although KW thought the food was so-so, I appreciated the relaxing vibe of that cafe, friendly earnest service and tasty fusion grub. The one-pager menu is tight (or limited, to some people), which might explain why you see certain dishes over and over again. 


A starter worth the hype is the Aburi Broccoli Salad. Roasted broccoli gets sexed up with a ridiculously yummy white balsamic dressing, strewn with crunchy papadum and freshly grated aged parmesan cheese. Love this! After ordering one portion to share, I had another one for myself. 


I was looking forward to the Salted Egg Sweet Potato Fries, which was topped with housemade salted duck's egg sauce. Unfortunately, the salted egg sauce was quite a letdown, lacking punch and oomph. According to the recipe they offer to soshiok!, it looks short of a few ingredients such as chicken granule cube, chill padi and curry leaves... so that is my humble deduction. 


One of the most recognisable mains is their Fried Chicken & Waffles. I do love har cheong gai (prawn paste chicken) so this juicy fried chicken was a winner in my books. However, the waffle was sorrowfully pale, yearning for a good couple of minutes on the toaster. With the melted maple butter on the side, it made more sense to finish the fried chicken before moving onto the waffle and melted maple butter as a dessert. Two dishes for the price of one? Hey ho, score! 


Another signature is main is Beef & Grains, medium rare seared marbled striploin, with orzo 'rice' and fried egg.


Tasty though soupier than expected, so if you like your mui fun, you would be a happy cow.

We didn't have desserts but the affrogato was gamely potent.


Tubby's thoughts, "Papa, I'm pleased to report they don't serve Eggs Benedict here."

This picture still cracks me up.

No comments: