Wednesday, June 4

Union Square, Farmers' Market, New York City

I have a craving for Beard Papa's cream puffs. Period.

Phew. Finally got off my chest.

One of the things i look out for when I travel is markets. Whether it's the La Boqueria in Barcelona, Cours Saleya in Nice or Tsujiki in Tokyo , markets are a fantastic place to check out the locals' version of "the way of life".

In New York, I had to visit the Greenmarket at Union Square. I loved it so much I went back two days in a row- on Friday and Saturday. The irony is it is located just opposite retail giant Whole Foods, which I must admit is pretty darn awesome too. Sorry, blame it on my supermarket fetish!

Greenmarket is mecca for fresh, local produce. It is a place where the very idea of "globalization" is considered downright sacrilege, where farmers showcase their haul of homemade cookies, artisan bread, pies, syrups, jams, milk, cheese, eggs, fish, anti-Bush merchandise... You want it, they've got it!

I'll let the pictures do the talking.





union square farmer's market5.jpg

union square farmer's market25.jpg

union square farmer's market7.jpg

union square farmer's market8.jpg

union square farmer's market9.jpg

union square farmer's market6.jpg

union square farmer's market19.jpg

The jams in particular were absolutely divine but don't worry peanut butter, you are still my first love!

union square farmer's market21.jpg

I chuckled when I saw this store that proclaimed "FRESH LAMB TODAY!"

union square farmer's market22.jpg

Determined to use every part of the lamb, you could eat them ...

union square farmer's market23.jpg

... or wear them!

Just outside Farmers' Market, this guy was celebrating the end of Bush administration. Hilari-OSO!

union square farmer's market13.jpg

The other market is discovered was Chelsea Market. Unlike Greenmarket, Chelsea market housed a selection of specialty shops. While in New York, I kept drawing comparisons to my other favourite food-crazed city, and I think Chelsea Market and Greenmarket have done a good job of highlighting the differences.

The culinary scene in Japan exhibits exquisiteness and fastidious attention to detail, something no Michelin guide can capture. Though not as mind-boggling, New York has character. I could spend $20 million buckaroos hauling the entire Chelsea Market back to Singapore, but I will never be able to transport the atmosphere and vibe- which is what makes the market endearing to begin with.

Union Square Greenmarket
Broadway East 17th Street
Open Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays; 8am-6pm year round.

Chelsea Market
75 9th Avenue in Chelsea
(Between 15th and 16th Streets)
Opening Hours
M-F, 7:00am to 9:00pm
Sat + Sun, 10:00am to 8:00pm

No comments: