Saturday, September 9

PK express

PK Express, Money Back Gurantee- that's whay it says on their signboard!

Last night after dinner at Pow Sing, We decided to snoop around the area as Serangoon Gardens was pretty much an undiscovered area for us. If this doesn't affirm our status as gluts, I have no idea what does. Barely ten minutes after dinner, we found ourselves proud patrons of PK Express at Serangoon Gardens Food Centre.


Cardiac Alert!

Brought to you by these smiling aunties.



Now who can resist a good deal throw in their face? PK Express's fish and chips consisted of two palm-sized fish encrusted in gold crackling batter, accompanied by peppered fries, with a apple mango salad thrown in for good measure.

Judging the differing shapes and sizes of the fries, I gather these were probably self made and I'm diggin the finger-friendly chunkiness and almost-limp texture.

Arrestingly decadent, the Chocolate Delight caught our attention in a heartbeat.

Ever heard of death by chocolate? Well, we are almost there.

Chocolate sponge cake, smeared with a thick coat of chocolate fudge and a skirt of chocolate flakes resulted in this endorphins-releasing delight.

Chocolate Delight was droughty-tasting and denser than competitor cakes from Lana and Awfully chocolate, but this was fine since I am not a fan of Lana's weak barely-there texture.

Bruce Bogtrotter and Augustus Gloop would have popped out of the Roald Dahl books for this.

Yang loved it so much, she went back for a second slice today for lunch.



I doggie-bagged a slice of carrot cake for today's breakfast.

It won't supersede Cedele's carrot walnut cake as my favourite carrot cake anytime soon. Unlike Cedele's rich velvety cream cheese finishing, the cream cheese topping here felt more like icing. I am someone who picks the colourful icing swirl off those old school biscuits, thus any thoughts of fond reconciliation should be dismissed.

Texture-wise, I think this would have made a great muffin but as a 'cake,' it lacked the frou-frou lightness, a characteristic uphold by Cedele's version.

Still, at $2, it was a tasty bargain.

I love chocolate. More specifically, chocolate bars, which happen to be a regular feature on our refrigerators.

Strangely enough, chocolate infused/inspired/incorporated dessert/beverages/pastries rank slightly lower on my list of epicurean desires.

Instead, when faced with a decision, I found myself gravitating towards the pumpkin prune cake. I think this appeals to the inner-somewhere-there rebel in me. Told to abstain from beta-carotene-rich foods, I find pumpkin and sweet potato utterly irresistable.

The inviting brown facade broke away to reveal a gorgeous inside, imbued with dessicated pumpkin shreds and bits of diced prune. If you are looking to detrack from the well-trodden choco-path, I say this is it.

Ultimately, PK still has much to learn from its more established counterparts.That being said, it is beyond a doubt that you got great value from PK Express. The chocolate cake costs only $2.80 a slice, pumpkin prune cake $2 and the fish and chips was $6.

Of course I will be back.. There's just this orange and chocolate chip cake that I am dying to get my hands on!

No comments: