Friday, November 18

Cheapass lunch at 53rd & 6th Halal Food Cart

Photobucket

Careful now. People have killed and been killed over this gyro from 53rd Street and 6th Halad Food Cart.

Photobucket

I have heard the queues can be notoriously long at night so thankfully there were only 7-8 people on front of us on a weekday afternoon.

I was tempted to get the works - lamb, pita, rice and all - but bearing in mind that we have just had lobster roll and a 20-hr flight that evening, we shared a lamb gyro and side order of falafels because those babies are made of chickpea right so minimal damage right? Ah, the voice of gutly reason...

Photobucket

I loved the grainy texture of the falafels but they were too cold to provide any form of satisfaction. If I were you, I would take these home and toast them for a few minutes to reinstate their full glory.

Photobucket

Back to the gyro, it was really good. Finely chopped up lamb, well-balanced spices and kickass hot sauce (activated our tear ducts) and white sauce (yogurt and something).

It was really good but I can't help but wish we had bigger chunks of lamb to chew on. Quite frankly, you could have taken my share of the meat and I would have been happy nibbling away on the hot sauce and yogurt drenched fluffy pita. That, I thought, was to die for...

No comments: