Thursday, July 28

Advice needed



Hmm, I’m in a bit of a fix here.

Recently, a reader (who yes, chooses to remain anonymous) has taken to caring about my career path, more so than what I would appreciate.

Anonymous said...

are you serrrio-u-s? i'm not being contemptuous (towards sales people) but are you serious contented being just a erm salesgirl all your life?!?? you're a university grad for gooooooooooooodness sake! im surprised your future husband and folks have nothing to say about that.


As much I am all oh-just-brush-it-off, I can’t but feel humoured and indignant towards his/ her condescending tone because
1. I am happy with my life.
2. People I care for and love are supportive.
3.I don’t see the need to justify my life choices to an anonymous reader all of people.

I don't want to be rude but this person has more issues than Oprah's self-help magazine. What do you think, guys? What should I say?

Take it away, folks.

PS Anonymous, I think we should really meet up. Let me buy you coffee in the next couple of weeks or so - because that is when my Starbucks Free Coffee coupon will last till.

9 comments:

imp said...

i did wonder if this person's concern has been displayed in the wrong tone and choice of words. However, the last 2 lines are a little condescending. It doesn't just speak of this one person. The comment speaks for many in our society who think the job of being a sales girl is stupid and without any sort of career progression. it's the same perception of waiters and the general service industry too. i'll be surprised if anonymous makes a differentiation between them or the level of grades.

you're right. the issues belong to that person, not you. You've no issues to deal with at all. Stand firm in your decision. Sales is a fine art that unfortunately, not many understand. sometimes, i buy something that i absolutely don't need (but pretty item!) because the sales staff is good. :) i'm contemplating going to be a sales assistant too. or a waiter. my family isn't shocked at all. in fact, they wonder why i didn't do it sooner.

no one stays in a job forever. i see so much reason in your choice of a job now. there could be something else in your future. for now, it is your life, and yours to live.

JT said...

I think the comments are really presumptuous. Believe in yourself and live your life while you are still young! And I don't think you need to reply or say anything to him/her.

p.s. I wouldn't mind coffee too. ;)

yixiao said...

you know what's funny, i think my previous post 'Thanksgiving birthday' couldn't have come at a better time.

=)

muchadoabouteating said...

Sigh I feel you. Just last week a person wrote a long email to me on how I should respect French restaurants and ended with how chefs are not hawkers. The issue anyone deserve our respect as long as they are serious in doing things well.

yixiao said...

eeks, sorry you had to go through that =p

JT said...

Finding something that you love to do is more precious than finding a "proper job".

As for Anonymous, he / she is probably jealous to be honest.

yixiao said...

Heyy, I agree with you on the part on "finding something you love to do" :)

I just hope anonymous is happy doing whatever he or she is doing before casting judgment on other people's lives.

skerrie said...

Hi Yixiao

Have been reading your blog for some time and I really enjoy your posts - they full of humour, good food and lovely fashions (not all that i can wear *sigh* but a broad can dream).

As for the comment left by Anonymous, leave it in the dustbin of inconsequential remarks where it belongs. You're doing something you enjoy, 'nuff said.

Have a good week!

skerrie

yixiao said...

hey skerrie, thank you so much for leaving this comment =)