Thursday, May 15

The European Union EU, New York City

On our first proper night out in New York, Paulina, Robert, Dawn and Ed took me to The EU for dinner. I thought it was funny how I’m in New York City in The United States of America and I’m heading to The European Union for dinner.

The menu was expectedly varied, boasting comfort foods from Italy (gnocchi and bruschetta), Spain (tapas and paella), France (foie gras and steak frites), Germany (sausages and German EU burger), Belgian (moules frites and Brussels sprouts) and England (fish and chips). To be honest, such variety would have made me a little apprehensive- I mean I would have definitely ran out of a restaurant called Asia, which serves Chinese, Thai and Japanese under one roof, but I had nothing to worry about for my hosts knew their dining scene well.


Little face on Robert’s t-shirt described this aptly

Too bad like most of my dinners in New York, the warm romantic lighting of the restaurant meant most of my photos turned out horrible. The EU was packed on a Friday night and despite our reservation, we still had to wait for our table. I was absolutely starving by the time we got it and only self-conscienceness saved me from attacking the focaccia bread sticks and olive oil (I'm sure good behaviour eluded me evenings later).



I loved my sandwich a "Dirty Shortie" (unidentified European country), where the Fleischer's short ribs have been braised till it became absolutely shreddable, topped with pickled onions, Parmesan cheese and grilled till the Parmesan cheese became fondue-like. Suddenly “to have sandwich for dinner” takes on a whole new uplifted meaning as I tucked into the most indulgent sandwich I’ve ever have. The presentation was totally cute too as fries were served in a tin and ketchup in a mini bottle.


Brazino

Other dishes which made it to our table included the grilled octopus with pickled celery and braised quince; whole gilled brazino with grilled lemon, pink salt and rughett; whole grilled young chicken with bean ragu and wild arugula; lamb T-bone with fava beans, roasted red pepper, mint and onion salad and soft shell crab sandwich.

I had like 1-3 bites of each, understandably insufficient for my mind to process sophisticated judgment. If you could X-ray my thoughts during the meal, it would probably reveal something like "dang, that's a whole fish they served there", "taste-tee" and "ooo, cute guy 3 o'clock... probably gay".

Thank gaw-, speech bubbles only happen in comics.



For dessert, we veered over to the English and Italian. Served with whipped crème, the English sticky toffee pudding was an easygoing slice soaked through with toffee sauce; the apple crostata charmed with an open-faced tart, crimped edges and apple silvers cuddled within, served alongside ginger creme fraiche and nut Florentine cookie.





I had an amazing time though my only mini grieve was although most commodities prices have shot through the roof, salt hasn't and the kitchen was quick to remind of us this. However, if this was a measure of what the kind of food I’ll be fed in New York, I knew I was in good hands.

The European Union EU
235 East 4th Street (East Village)
Phone 212-254-2900

2 comments:

Chou said...

Excessive salt is a common problem here . . .

yixiaooo said...

hey chou, i'm glad i'm not overly-sensitive!

thanks for dropping by =)