Saturday, September 16

SICC

I like lunching at the club, much to dad's horror. I got to admit, it used to be fluke that whatever we ordered was almost-decent and on the low-end-of-tasty. But from a couple of months ago, the change in menu and quality has prompted me to initiate more than a couple of meals at the club.

This long overdue write-up belongs to lunch last Sunday.

A hearty meal for one, the popular Prawn Mee here includes two huge prawns and good-to-nibble soft-bone pork ribs. The head-clearing herbal aroma may deter some, but others will embrace the full-flavoured taste.

The Prawn Mee Auntie is quite a gem too as she nevers rejects my request of a complementary bowl of soup.



This belonged to the Daily Specials. Tasting as good as it looks, the Baby Soon Hock in Ginger Light Soya Sauce got me all possesive.. Fueled by my love for fried fish, I threw dirty looks to those who dared pick on it. Haha. One only has to take a bite to comprehend the hoo-ha about brittle crisp and don't you think the 'flared-up' look looks too tempting? Good thing the fish was laid to rest, rather than drizzled with the sauce as the crisp factor was kept intact.

As I was too occupied with my fish, I conveniently "forgot" to try the Fried KL Noodles. No, really. Having tasted my fair share of mediocore KL noodles, I believe it ultimately boils down to THE PHOBIA. Mushy noodles, draby gravy, tastebuds-impairing seafood.. the makings of a dish better left untouched.

OOO, how harsh.. But I am really forgiving. At least, that's what I would like to think of myself as.

Selfish but forgiving- Damn, I'm just not egilible to qualify for sainthood anytime soon.

This plate was cleaned out by the end of lunch so I gather it wasn't half as bad as what I had imagined.



The Nonya Laksa was head-on distinctive, armed with fiery gravy to boot. Taking the driver's seat for the swoon-worthy flavour was the coconoction of coconut milk and a bevy of Asian spices kicking in at the same time. Time-tested accompaniants such as the tau pok and hard-boiled egg proved quintessential in this dish.

Whenever I recover from a illness, the thing I would most look forward to is the Laksa. Hmm, I know this doesn't quite fit the bill for someone somewhat sickly but I always clamour for something obscenely unhealthy to make up for the fasting days- during that period I could just barf at the thought of porridge.

One roll to rule them all.

The Durian Roll is a an absolute delight which involves a snuggling act of creamy durian pulp and pillowy sponge casing. Effective in reducing the potentially-overwhemlming durian-ness, flakes of white chocolate are confettied around in sugar-plum-fairy style.

Just beware of the un-rid-dible durian breath. Yes, we average Singaporeans may not be accomplished combat-wise but we do have our Secret Weapon in times of need. No, I am not referring to the less-than-impressive singing of our Singapore Idols.

No comments: