Friday, February 15

Canelé Pâtisserie Chocolaterie Again?

Mum: Do you want to watch Lust, Caution? The club is screening it this weekend...

Me: Isn't that like R-rated? You do know that it's rated...

Mum: Please.. I'm fifty something... Not fifteen!

Should I be worried not because I'm catching Lust, Caution with my mum but because I'm a bigger prude than she is?

- -

Admittedly, studying in a City Campus has its perks.

One could scoot over to Shenton Way / Raffles Place / Temasek Boulevard for that job or internship interview and still make it back to class within 15 minutes of that final handshake. We have museums at our doorstep and a 10 minute walk in any direction reintroduces one to the delights of capitalism. Personally, it's awesome since I can easily find a spot for tea and catch-up with friends for a little 'afternoon delight'.

Reader: Whattt!? You got to be kidding me.. How frivolous does that sound?!

Well, you do happen to be on a food blog... were you expecting to be entertained by my two cent's worth on the US Presidential hopefuls or Microsoft-Yahoo-Google love-hate triangle?

YAWNNN

I thought so.

Raffles City is under going some major nip and tuck and they have added not-so-new shops to their facelift namely Eu Yan Seng (grandfather brand trying to 'bring sexy back'), Cocoa Tree (who really shops there anyway?), Breadtalk (henceforth cannibalizing sales from City Hall MRT station and Capitol Building outlets) and New Kid on The Donut Block J. Co, a donut coffee place (do we really need another Donut Factory?). Ok better get back to the main topic before I start a Down With Donuts, Let Me Eat Cake campaign. But seriously, do you know what 'FAD' stands for?

Finished And Dead

See I digress yet again.



While it may not be part of the new extension, Canele's third outlet gamely plonks itself in a space, formerly known as 'Mix'. Yup that cafe that used to sell overpriced juices, smoothies, salads, healthy pies and wraps. Looks like it had tried to offer the Elixir To Life to customers but failed to find a formula for itself. Anyway, the second irony is that 'Mix' is now replaced with a patisserie that sells overpriced cakes, which aren't exactly what the doctor prescribed.


I think you guys have met Van before but here is GT, our resident Isaac Mizrahi sans curls but double the diva attitude, with his nose buried in the menu because deciding on which crepe to have is such hard work!

So the story continues- I met with Van and GT for tea at Canele. The last time I met up with Van, we were stuffing ourselves silly pizzas and pastas by the Amalfi Coast and now we have to make do with this water fountain. Sigh. Haha.



I guess with GT in the picture, one can be assured of a 'berry tarty afternoon' and because we are such Tart Nuts, we had the Sour Cherry Tart and Strawberry Tart. On hindsight, this could have saved our friendship since we wouldn't need to fight over the buttery crumbs of incredible delectation. The plump strawberries weren't really sweet and the Sour Cherries were well, sourish but both helped offset the sweet-filled, sweet-drizzled and sweet-dolloped Nougatine.



I wanted to try their Chestnut Souffle but it wasn't on the menu so we went for one of their sweet crepes, Nougatine. As the caramelized Filo laid lazily on vanilla crème chantilly, the Object of My Dysfunctional Affection was filled with Nutella, topped with salty caramel trill and an indulgent scoop of hazelnut nougatine ice cream. Instead of the floppy-puppy-ear texture, the crepe was slightly crunchy like a Crepe Dentelles.

Oh my gaw-, it was like 'thought I died and gone to heaven' (yeah I clearly have more lives than a cat when it comes to dessert).



I just realized that if I'm a little prudish and I love tarts. Does that make me a Prune Tart? Ok bad joke, Down boy!

This Afternoon Delight may not be as naughty but it was by no less sinful.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha. Eh, I'm gg to watch lust caution at the club. :)

with mom and aunt. my cousin was like "what on earth posessed you"

WL

Anonymous said...

Hi Yi Xiao...I do love the Nougatine...while I cannot stomach their cakes because they really are too sweet and the macarons don't quite make the cut (Amrita's and Karen's are far more superior...)..the Nougatine is in a league of it's own!
I particularly adore the salted caramel which in my opinion,brings everything together.
Sigh.....I am craving for it...dang.

yixiaooo said...

Hey WL, did your mum enjoy the movie? My mum was somewhat flabbergasted. haha

Stef, I love Karen's macarons too! I had the fortune of indulging in them over a dinner party... Have you tried her salted caramel macarons. You'll love it...

Anonymous said...

Yi Xiao...no I have not had your good fortune yet! However,I just had lunch with her last week and she made the most divine lebkuchen. The rest of her macarons are wonderful though,my favourite being the Blackforest one... Her opera one is awesome too!

Anonymous said...

hello

everything looks so nice. whats the damage? haha

yixiaooo said...

About $12 per person.. =)