Tuesday, October 30

Kaizen Zushi

From what I have read, kaizen sushi is a lot like speed dating- for the females, at least. You butt-warm your seat, put on your observe-scope and scrutinize the candidates as they rove by.



Naturally, you have a good idea of what you are looking out for and begin to sieve out the ‘maybes’ from the ‘no-ways’.

While one may only have 3 minutes in an actual meeting, Malcolm Gladwell’s notion of adaptive unconscious proves you have what it takes to make a sound evaluation within 3 seconds.



You only make a move when someone(thing) intrigues you; should others fall short of expectations, you move on.

Fortunately when one slips past you, you have a second chance. This is where the sushi scores one up against speed dating. Better yet, if you like what’s in front of you, you could always help yourself to second or more helpings. Kaizen zushi 2, speed dating 0



‘Conveyor belt sushi’ is what we are used to but the actual term is ‘kaiten zushi’. In Singapore, such “restaurants” appeal to the masses but are often low on quality. Honestly, I think many people may not think much of kaiten zushi but my experience at Shinjuku was actually pretty darn good. For starters, the menu doesn’t read like mad scientist recipe and secondly, the way the rice cowered under a canopy of fish indicated that half the battle was won.

Note to Sakae, Ichiban and Sushi Tei: this is what sushi is supposed to look like.



For a pair of nigiri, prices start from 136 Yen to 320 Yen, expect to pay 400 Yen for chutoro and 630 Yen for otoro. What upgraded my experience from “not bad” to “pretty darn good” were the “chu toros” and “otoros”. Absolute slabs of fatty tuna, the fattiness voluntarily implodes in your mouth. Each time I took a bite, my facial muscles would reflex to form an involuntary look of pure enjoyment, followed by a dramatic ‘mmm’ eyes-wide-shut exclamation.

OH-MY-toro! Oh yeah...



Very interesting ad I found on Youtube.



Dove Evolution Advertisement by Ogilvy & Mather Canada.

7 comments:

the zee said...

i love the way you described the rice 'cowering under a canopy of fish'. haha. it's so... apt!

nonchann said...

I have pretty much stopped eating sushi at sake or genki. sushi tei is still bearable at times.

if you think that dove ad was cool, wait till you see the spoof.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=I0u0wWOMIsE

Chubbypanda said...

Kaiten-zushi isn't bad for the price. In Japan, it was created to tap the family and student dining markets, since true o-sushi bars are frighteningly expensive.

Anonymous said...

hi my name is merryl and i was wondering if it was true that there is a SMU food magazine?

-Merryl

yixiaooo said...

hey merryl, yes we do. SMU Gourmet Club has its own publication.. Why did you ask?

Anonymous said...

Oh, cos I wasnt too sure, but I heard it was quite good. Is it monthly? When was the latest published? If I head over to SMU can I grab a copy?

Merryl

yixiaooo said...

Hey Merryl, the magazine is published once a term (15 weeks), I don't think you will find issues lying around but if you want, I have some with me. =)